The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1
GreaseMonkey4Hire

Drawbacks to Ruger .22?

I am soon going to purchase a .22 semi target/plinking pistol to shoot with my 7 year old daughter. I have a Ruger Mark 1 that I really like and had a Mark 3 stainless slab side that I found to my liking as well. I regret letting that one go in a trade and am looking to replace it.

I have noticed on the net Rugers 22/45 version and am interested but have yet to find one local to handle in person. Other than the obvious grip difference, any major pro's or con's to this versus the Mark 3?
Old January 13, 2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Blue Duck

Pro, they are lighter.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Vermonter

Sr22?

Have you considered it?
Old January 13, 2013, 01:54 PM   #4
weblance

The bolt release on the 22/45 does not have a spring to push it down when there is a loaded magazine inserted. What that means is, you have to pull back on the bolt, AND push down the bolt release button at the same time to close the bolt, or chamber a round. The Mark series metal frame guns have a spring that pushes down the lever so you only have to pull the bolt back, and the lever drops down automatically. Its a minor inconvenience, but enough of one that I did the "Slingshot Mod" to all 3 of my 22/45s. Google 22/45 SlingShot Mod, and you will understand what the problem is, if you dont already. Other than that, they operate the same as a Mark Series steel framed pistol.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:57 PM   #5
weblance

One other comment on the 22/45s. The cheapest models dont have replaceable grip panels. The grip on these pistols is very thin, and I dont care for it. The more expensive 22/45s are RP models, meaning Replaceable Panels. Spend the few extra dollars for the RP model. Its well worth it IMHO.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Pilot

I have three MK II steel framed pistols of different configurations, barrel lengths, etc. I have one MK II era, 22/45 which I like due to its four inch bull barrel and lightweight polymer frame. I can go either way on the grip angle, as they both work for me. The 22/45 is nice to carry in the woods, but I also carry one of the larger, heavier MK 5.5 in bull barrel Target models as well. However, the polymer frame does make it lighter, and the four inch barrel is nice as well, but it is still a Target model with adjustable sights, and still a tack driver. Sometimes I'll even do better with it than the longer barreled MK II's.
Old January 13, 2013, 04:03 PM   #7
chris in va

I had two 22/45's.

Get the SR22. IMO a more fun gun. The 22/45 is top heavy, unless you get the 'Lite' version.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:56 PM   #8
weblance

The SR22P isnt anywhere near as accurate as the Mark series pistols. Its not even close. I can easily get all shots onto a 3" x 3" Post-It note, rested at 25 yards, with open sights, with my 22/45s. My SR22P will get them all on an 8" paper plate, rested at 25 yards. That's the difference between the two pistols.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:26 PM   #9
GreaseMonkey4Hire

I've never handled an SR22. It looks similar to a Walther P22. I bought one of those as sort of a trainer for my wife and it has worked well. I'll try and put my hands on one if I get the chance although......

I'm pretty set on a Mark 3. I dont mind the extra weight and my daughter seems to do better with heavier pistols. She likes the Walther but the case ejection does not go well with her short arms. I just found the different grip style interesting. The Ruger Mark series pistols have an excellent reputation but I wasn't sure if the same applied to the 22/45. I also wasn't aware of the grip panel option. Thank you for that information weblance. I've read about the slingshot mod somewhere in the past...

The accuracy is another big factor. I want something more capable than the Walther in that catagory. Trying to keep the little ones confidence up and she likes the heavy ones better.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Merad

Quote:
I've read about the slingshot mod somewhere in the past...
A guy did some work on mine and put one in.

Main downside... you will shoot up a lot of .22