The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 25, 2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Belve

12" upper for ar-15 distance and accuracy?

So i just purchased a 12" upper for a lower i have had built a while back. Before i decide to make it either an sbr or a 223 pistol i was wondering if anyone had any insite on the balistics and range capability of a 223 out of such a short barrel. How accurate should it be and up to what range. Does range or accuricy make a difference with or without a stock? Thanks for any advice.
Old October 25, 2012, 11:09 AM   #2
SRH78

The short barrel isn't a problem for accuracy but it will make a definite difference in trajectory since you will be losing a significant amount of velocity.
Old October 25, 2012, 11:22 AM   #3
darkgael

Accuracy

At what distance do you intend to use this short barrel? What kind of sights do you intend to install? What weight bullet do you intend to use mostly?
Pete
Old October 25, 2012, 11:30 AM   #4
allaroundhunter

Does your lower already have a stock on it?

If so.....you are walking a very thin line as far as the ATF is concerned....
Old October 25, 2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Belve

no i have not put it on a lower with a stock. I know the atf is funny about about. As far as sites go i planned on having flip up iron sites and scope.
Old October 25, 2012, 05:41 PM   #6
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belve View Post
no i have not put it on a lower with a stock. I know the atf is funny about about. As far as sites go i planned on having flip up iron sites and scope.
No, not have you put it on one, do you own one? Specifically, one that does not have an upper already on it?

Sent from my HTC One X
Old October 26, 2012, 07:59 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaroundhunter
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belve View Post
No, not have you put it on one, do you own one? Specifically, one that does not have an upper already on it?
The thought police well not break down your door for having a sub 16" upper. This Ace Ultra is used by a lot of AR pistol builders and having the shoulder devise does not imply the pistol is a rifle.

If you are having confrontations with BATF&E then all bets are off because they well use any and all laws to stick it to you.

Quote:
the balistics and range capability of a 223 out of such a short barrel. How accurate should it be and up to what range. Does range or accuricy make a difference with or without a stock? Thanks for any advice.
You well lose velocity, not accuracy. A 12" well loose about 150-200fps over a 14.5. The problem is holding a pistol with out a should devise. This 10.5" with the bi-pod shoots OK out to 200yds, as far as I have shot it. The short sight radius does not help.

Built as a pistol, when the tax stamp finally came it became a sbr.
Old October 26, 2012, 12:53 PM   #8
allaroundhunter

Quote:
The thought police well not break down your door for having a sub 16" upper. This Ace Ultra is used by a lot of AR pistol builders and having the shoulder devise does not imply the pistol is a rifle.

If you are having confrontations with BATF&E then all bets are off because they well use any and all laws to stick it to you.
It is the "constructive possession" that can get you into trouble. I have not gone through that NFA hoop, but in talking with many people who have, as well as class 3 dealers, I have been told that it is a no-no to have a sub-16" upper in your house if you also have a lower receiver that has a stock on it (that does not have its own 16+" upper).
Old October 27, 2012, 06:55 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is the "constructive possession" that can get you into trouble. I have not gone through that NFA hoop, but in talking with many people who have, as well as class 3 dealers, I have been told that it is a no-no to have a sub-16" upper in your house if you also have a lower receiver that has a stock on it (that does not have its own 16+" upper).

"constructive possession" is greatly exaggerated by the internet in regards to sub 16" uppers with multible AR's. The only documented cases that I have read about have been cases of individuals you have committed a series of serious fire arms crimes, "constructive possession" or "constructive intent" was added to the already long list of violations.

There's a Texas lawyer that blogs about this BATF&E stuff, I'll see if I can find the link to it.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:07 AM   #10
allaroundhunter

Quote:
"constructive possession" is greatly exaggerated by the internet in regards to sub 16" uppers with multible AR's. The only documented cases that I have read about have been cases of individuals you have committed a series of serious fire arms crimes, "constructive possession" or "constructive intent" was added to the already long list of violations.

There's a Texas lawyer that blogs about this BATF&E stuff, I'll see if I can find the link to it.
That's good to know. I have been looking into going with an SBR, but already having an AR I get mixed responses from people about where the "constructive possession" line is drawn.