The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1
snook135

Press is setup.

I am finding a lot of satisfaction reloading my own ammo. I doubt it will save my money, as I seem to want to shoot more often due to the decreased cost in ammo at or above a 50% savings.

Not sure what caliber dies to pick up next most likely it will be 454 casull due to it normally costing close to a dollar a round. Then 9mm when my Machine Gun form 4 is approved.

Down the line I plan to pick up some rifle calibers but I am not ready for that yet.
Old March 25, 2012, 08:17 PM   #2
markr

+1 on the .454C. That was my second caliber to reload. I started shooting it in 2003 and Ammo was still less than $1 per round. I was paying $17-$20 per box of 20. BUT I saved every single case until I had several hundred. Now the cheapest I can find factory, IF I can find it, is $30 dollars a box. Since I have all the cases in stock, my cost is just under .50 cents per round using Hornady XTP Mag bullits.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 25, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
snook135

yup since I have been shooting it in 04 i have kept all my brass. I probably have about 1k in brass. what primers, dies, powder, bullet grain are you using for for 454?
Old March 25, 2012, 08:55 PM   #4
mrawesome22

I recommend the Hornady dies for the Casull.

They come with an extra taper crimp die that applies a wonderful, easy to manipulate crimp.

37gr H110 under a 240gr XTP Mag using a WSRM primer is about all I care to handle our of my SRH.

The sadist load
Old March 25, 2012, 09:45 PM   #5
markr

Im currently putting 30gr of H110 under a 300gr XTP MAG. It has some kick but not too bad. I just got a box of 240 grain XTP MAG. Working out of Hornady volume 7, I beleive the starting load was about 34.1 grains. (Book is downstairs). I did one or two at 34, and 35 to test for pressure, then did 20 at 36. I will test these this weekend. . You mentioned 37 grains, I beleive the the load data topped out around 38 grains. I do know that you don't want to push the SRH as hard as the Freedom Arms version of the pistol. The very first box of factory ammo I bought in 2003 was HNDY XTP MAG, and on the box, it was rated at 2000 FPS at the muzzle. And every case got stuck after I shot it out of my SRH. After some confusion, annd research, I discovered the shortcomings of that 6 shot cylinder. It is still a good pistol, but has some limitations compared to the freedom arms. I dig the "Mushroom Cloud" of concusion it creates at the range.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 25, 2012, 10:15 PM   #6
mrawesome22

I also heard about sticky cases, thin walls cause it's six shot.....

At 37gr, cases extract fine and they chrono right at 2k, and are a handful to say the least

Never have felt the need to go to the listed 38gr.

Gotta love the looks on peoples faces when that thing goes off.

I tell people they can only shoot it if they promise not to poo their pants
Old March 26, 2012, 11:22 AM   #7
markr

I forgot to answer part of the question about my dies. I started with an RCBS 3 die set on a single stage press. In the last two weeks I got set up an a Classic Turret press, and a pro auto disc. So now I am using a mixture of dies. Now its RCBS sizing and seating die.....and Lee powder through expanding, and factory crimp. I haven't fired the rounds yet that I made on the terret press. The only thing that will be different in my new setup is my crimp. That is why I made a couple rounds with the charge backed off a little to check for signs of pressure, since I don't know if the start pressure will change due to factory crimp.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 26, 2012, 02:48 PM   #8
snook135

I would normally shoot 300gr bullets of factory ammo when i could find it, but normally 240gr. on the rare occasion 45lc. Reloading this one is going to be fun to find what I like but what you all mentioned i will try. Thanks for the heads up on the hornady dies. Are you trimming your cases on these?

I shoot the 454 out of a Ruger super red hawk. I am so glad I kept all of my fired brass!
Old March 26, 2012, 03:22 PM   #9
markr

I trimmed before. But my new setup with the factory crimp die, I didnt trim. I can see slight variations where the case mouth hits the cannelure.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 26, 2012, 08:50 PM   #10
snook135

Im just thinking with that powerful a cartridge it's worth trimming.