The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 3, 2010, 08:49 PM   #1
ELMOUSMC

How about a Cat call?

the area I live in, in N.E Iowa is over run with Feral cats.The grey beards that I hunt with, varmints, white tail and upland game in season have noticed a marked decline in the number of pheasants, rabitts, quail and even the 13 stripe ground squirrels
Now we all have predator calls with every type of cry moan and whimper that is known to man,but when we fire them up in areas that we know are infested with ditch tigers nothing we get hawks, owls,crows,eagles, fox and every so often a farm dog but no kitty cats.Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated Thanks ELMO
Old March 3, 2010, 09:37 PM   #2
EastSideRich

I bet if you got a recording of some of the God-awful noises those things make they'd come in.
In the summer they congregate in and around our yard (and leave plenty of cat feces and urine in our grass and planter boxes). One or two will start yowling at eachother and others always show up.
I unfortunately live in the city, so real firearms can not be used to treat the infestation, but airsoft rifles and paintball guns at least make them scatter and provide some entertainment.
Old March 3, 2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Hog Buster

Get you some chunks of turkey neck, wire it to a tree, wire thru the neck bone. Close to the ground where they can get at it. Replace the chunks when only the bone is left. Do this for a few days or a week. Then bait up and find yourself a hide. They're creatures of habit and will return over and over. Blast them, day or night, with anything from a .17HMR to an M2....Semper Fi

P.S. Be quiet and sneaky, cats are as sly as foxes, maybe more.

Last edited by Hog Buster; March 3, 2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: After thought
Old March 3, 2010, 11:52 PM   #4
bamaranger

I've had cats

come into a dying rabbit call/squaler
Old March 4, 2010, 05:47 AM   #5
Daryl

Have you tried, "Here kitty, kitty"?

Sorry, I don't hunt feral cats for sport. They're an invasive species, and do a lot of damage to native small game, so when they become a nuisance or cause damage, I feel no regrets about having to kill them.

Yet it's not something I particularly enjoy, either.

A havahart or other cage trap works fine for control work.

Daryl
Old March 4, 2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

Electric can opener?

Always brings my kitties running.
Old March 4, 2010, 05:28 PM   #7
waterfowler

I have not heard of any cat calls, but they do need to go. Cats are definately a creature of habit. find a place to set some food down or whatever and wait,
Old March 4, 2010, 07:59 PM   #8
Pahoo

Found this out by accident but have gotten their attention by using a Bobwhite quail call. Be patient and don't call too much. You won't get them running in but instead, they will come in on a stalk so pick a high spot and keep a good eye out for them. A high spot where you live, should not be a problem. I have also baited with sardines. They really stink up the area and cover your scent.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 5, 2010, 12:08 AM   #9
ELMOUSMC

thanks for the ideas guys we are going to give all of them a try and see which 1 is most productive

Daryl Don't get me wrong but Feral cats are the most destructive animals in the woods around here not just game animals but song birds as well any ground nesting species they happen across.They kill not to eat but to kill.Live trapping is great if there were only a few to deal with but what do you do with them after they are trapped?
In the past year we have killed more than 50 and as near as we can tell the population is still growing.As I understand in almost every part of the country the problem is the same.Our state DNR has said if you come across a catin the wild shoot it we believe it is the most humane way to deal with a serious on going problem
Old March 5, 2010, 08:19 AM   #10
Uncle Buck

I find that baiting works pretty well. If you can get something to make a sound when you put the food out (Like they use with the automatic deer feeders), the cats will become accustomed to hearing the sound when there is food and come to it.
Then, when you get ready to hunt, just make that sound.

Quote:
Electric can opener?

Always brings my kitties running.
Dr. S, I read that three times yesterday and I could not understand what it meant. This morning I read it and all of a sudden, it was like a light came on and I started laughing. Yes, it has been awhile since I had a cat around the house.

Here is one for you: What does a 300 pound canary say? Here Kitty Kitty Kitty....

Sorry that I got sidetracked.

Daryl, I do not enjoy shooting cats either, but I consider it better than letting the things starve to death. Most of the cats around here are not feral, they are left over from college kids going home.

I could trap them, but then what? The animal shelters charge me to drop off a cat (Last time I checked, the price had increased to $35.00 per animal). They will extend the cats life one, maybe two weeks before it is put down. (We do not have a no kill facility near here.)
Old March 7, 2010, 11:46 AM   #11
treg

Quote:
I could trap them, but then what?
Havahart and a barrel of water.
Old March 7, 2010, 12:39 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

mustang, that appealed to my warped sense of humor, the first time I saw it. But it ain't prezackly a Good Thing for TFL.

I gotta admit, I really hated to delete it. But, muy, muy malo...