The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2010, 06:56 AM   #1
KMO

Mossy 500 Mag Tube/Receiver Threads?

I have two barrels for my Mossberg 500, a 20" and a 28". The process for switching out these barrels has become slower and slower for me, as each barrel uses a different length magazine tube. Even though I never attach these tubes more than hand-tight, and I use a small amount of grease on the threads, it's becoming more and more difficult to thread them into the receiver. Each of the tubes wants to cross-thread, so I've got to be careful not to force them in incorrectly. I end up carefully backing them out and retrying, probably at least a dozen times before I feel them threading in properly. My question...Does anyone know of a thread chaser tool to clean up the threads on both the receiver and the mag tubes?
Old January 31, 2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Goatwhiskers

Don't know of a tool. The problem is that you have a steel tube and an aluminum receiver, hard vs. softer. Aluminum is not gonna stand regular removal and rethreading of the mag tube. You really need two guns before you damage the receiver threads beyond repair. Goatwhiskers the Elder
Old January 31, 2010, 08:18 AM   #3
KMO

Quote:
You really need two guns before you damage the receiver threads beyond repair.
Do you mind if I print this and show it to my wife? The solution is to buy a second shotgun...not sure she'll buy that.

I work with a machinist in a side business, so I'm wondering if he may have a solution. Maybe a steel threaded insert for the receiver? Maybe he could even alter the starting point for the existing threads so the tubes find their way in more eaasily...
Old January 31, 2010, 10:39 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

First tear it down and de grease the threads fully. Upon inspection if the threads are real good but a bit ruff, you could use a bore brush at moderately slow speed to knock the burrs off the aluminum. Then get some of the silver colored (gray bottle/tube) loc-tite brand "Anti Seize" lube. A very TINY amount is plenty... a bit messy but great stuff. There is no reason to worry about the number of times aluminum and steel go together so long as care is taken...
Brent
Old January 31, 2010, 10:59 AM   #5
KMO

Quote:
...loc-tite brand "Anti Seize" lube
Thanks Hogdogs, but is this stuff really any better than the Wilson Combat white grease I'm already using?
Old January 31, 2010, 12:58 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The anti seize is fortified with graphite or some other similar. Grease is a lube but may not prevent oxidation, moisture intrusion or "thread galling"... the latter is where fine threads can suffer. For instance, stainless fasteners can fail to reach specified torque before the threads seize up...
Brent
Old February 1, 2010, 12:44 AM   #7
ishida336

What are you doing changing the mag tube? They OUGHT to be the same length! Especially if they are the same capacity!

5+1 is plenty for HD taking severely damaging the gun into account.

Mossberg DOES make a 28" barrel for the 7-round tubes, sold through Maverick.
Old February 1, 2010, 01:31 AM   #8
guncrank

Move the barrel hanger it is silver solder to barrel and can be moved.
Of course you would need to refinish the barrel but it is doable.

CEW
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old February 1, 2010, 05:48 AM   #9
KMO

Quote:
What are you doing changing the mag tube?
Quote:
Move the barrel hanger
I can't believe I'm even responding to these, but...One barrel is set up for a 5-round tube, and the other barrel for a 7-round tube. The lugs are positioned on the barrels accordingly. The process for changing out the barrel & mag tube is very simple. It can be done in about one minute. The problem in this case involves the odd style threads, which are somewhat like a metal ribbon wrapped around the tube in a spiral. Trying to change out the position of the lugs, resolder, and refinishing afterward would seem much more trouble than simply chasing the threads. It appears we've exhausted the good ideas here. I was hoping to learn about a thread tool, but apparently one doesn't exist. I'll work it out with my machinist partner & post results later...
Old February 1, 2010, 01:14 PM   #10
ishida336

They DO sell a 28-inch barrel for the 7-round tubes.
Or, alternatively, you can stick purely with a 5-round tube, and find a new or used 18.5" barrel for a much better price.
Old February 1, 2010, 02:55 PM   #11
INMY01TA

Ya why not buy a 28' 8 shot barrel?
Old February 1, 2010, 09:03 PM   #12
KMO

You guys are killing me...I'm trying to keep my focus on repairing/restoring the threads on these parts I already have, not buying new stuff. This particular shotgun is a LE model that I purchased after it was turned into surplus. It had barely been used, so the 7-round tube is in good shape, as well as the 20-inch barrel, which has factory rifle sights. The 28-inch barrel was bought used, but it had never been used at all. So, I'm not of a mind to replace any of these components, unless I happen to ruin something trying to resolve this minor thread dillema...
Old February 1, 2010, 09:12 PM   #13
INMY01TA

Well even if you do chase the threads they're gonna be weaker than before. Odds are you'll end up here again. I'll ask another question. Why not sell the 5 shot barrel or trade for a 7 shot??
Old February 1, 2010, 09:18 PM   #14
KMO

The 5-round tube is the typical factory magazine tube. It aligns with the lug on the 28-inch barrel. They make a set, just like the 20-inch barrel pairs up with the 7-round mag tube. None of these are a sloppy fit, which might be caused from overwear. It's just a matter of getting either tube started without cross-threading.
Old February 1, 2010, 09:37 PM   #15
Lee Lapin

It's the RECEIVER- it isn't a 'minor thread dilemma.' But it's your gun, treat it any way you like...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old February 1, 2010, 10:08 PM   #16
ishida336

We all know they fit together. That's why we asked why you keep changing the tube, and keep suggesting that you buy barrels for a single length tube instead. It's not particularly good for the receiver threads to be changed constantly, especially since it's steel on aluminum.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:38 PM   #17
KMO

Quote:
Does anyone know of a thread chaser tool to clean up the threads on both the receiver and the mag tubes?
Above is a question from my original post. Honestly, this is a good-working shotgun, and I don't intend to buy any new parts for it to resolve this issue. Apparently, no one knows of a tool such as I described, so I'll figure it out. I was just hoping to spare a little time in case someone already knew of a tool designed for this purpose. Ease up guys...the shotgun is going to be fine...
Old February 4, 2010, 09:48 AM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Thread file...
Do a google for additional images.
This allows a gentle approach to touching it up. There is a thread file that covers every production thread...
I don't know about internal (female) threads but will work on the barrel.
Brent
Old February 5, 2010, 07:08 PM   #19
joehorner

Anti Seize

Hey KMO. Joe here. +1 on the seize. Gotta Harley with many aluminum to steel thread combos. This is where never seize shines. First you are dealing with dis-similar metals with fine thread. Bad ju-ju. Try the seize sparingly. I will go out in a blizzard if I run out and gotta have it.....Short of installing a helicoil,then rethreading the barrel.I see this as an good option. Good luck. Joe