The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Farmland

Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press A+

When I was searching for a single stage press Lee was not on the list. After all how could something so much cheaper than the competition be better? However a few posters made some nice points and the long story short as most of you know I bought one.

So now I have loaded just over 1,000 rounds with this press. That was a lot of strokes in a short amount of time, thank goodness primers have been easy to find. So what do I think about this big red press?

The first thing I will say is to make sure you have a nice strong bench, this press has enough leverage to pull the mounts right through the wood.This makes sizing bottlenecks to long straight walled cases an easy task.

The power appears to be in how the linkage and handle is arraigned. It can be mounted left or right and at just about any angle you would feel comfortable working with. So if you have too much leverage just shorten the handle and you reduce your leverage. This is great for seating primers when you want more feel.

Lets face it this ram is large and with the linkage it has power. I will note that it will take more than a few cycles to get that smooth pull with the ram, after breaking it in it is as smooth as any other press ram. I do load my up with 30wt oil.

The cast press itself is strong and beefy enough to never have to worry about a press failure.The three point mounting system works well, just add some oversize washers.

The shell holder connection is one of the best that I have used with it having a positive lock but still very easy to take out. The large opening gives more than enough room for large hands and will handle even the big 50.

It does come with a large & small primer tool that works well enough. I have found it is best to keep one of these in the ram. That is because the primers drop down through the ram into a tube with a cap on the end. The primer tool keeps the primers from spitting out through the slot and not down the tube.

The dies screw into a bushing on the top of the die. I think you can replace this with bushing type if you like the bushings. I will note that you should give this a turn with a wrench prior to putting in your dies, mine was a little loose and want to come out with the dies.

Another thing you might want to do is use some wood/metal glue for the wooden knob. Mine did fly off on the upstroke when seating primers. When I added some two part epoxy the problem was solved.

Don't worry about the hollow handle, believe me you will pull the bolts through your table prior to bending the handle.

Once you get going your not going to want to stop with this press. It just has better feel than any other press. The only problem you will have is running out of components.

It may never win the beauty contest for single stage presses but there is not a better single stage press of this design on the market for this price. Hands down it does what the Hornady, RCBS, Redding and Lyman does for a lot less and might do it better. Don't take my word for it, just give it a look when your looking for your first or your next single stage press.
Old September 29, 2009, 09:35 PM   #2
hootey

Had one for years, tough little thing, it is. Rolled thousands of rounds on it, just keeps on going. Wish my bod was the same way, getting lots of sore spots that don't go away. Some things of mine are wearing out but, the tools on the workbench just keep on a rolling. Not everything has LEE written on it but, I try to buy quality. This press is exactly that, Quality.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:07 PM   #3
QBall45

So how did you spend the money you saved buying the Lee press rather than another more expensive one?

I know I've been very happy with my breechlock challanger. I've done around 1200-1500 223rem & I would guess some where in the 4000 range 45acp. Can't see any wear & have no complaints with mine either.

Glad to hear there are others that are as happy as I am with Lee presses.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Farmland

Primers Primers Primers of course.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:27 PM   #5
duck911

I am NOT a huge Lee fan and some of their stuff is, well, a little cheesy, but my press is a Lee Classic cast and I LOVE it. The thing is indestructible and works perfect for me needs. I think I pad $60 for mine new a couple years ago? Great deal!

I bought it due to a thread just like this on this very forum.

--DUck911
Old September 30, 2009, 12:00 AM   #6
kiwi56

Lee Classic Cast

Lee products can get you into reloading relatively inexpensively but the down side is their quality control does let their products down at times. I bought the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press and it is a good solid press the action of it is clunky and not as smooth as the Redding or Lyman turrets but then they are 2-3 times the price. My problem with this press was that the screw on the plastic follower on the indexing shaft was wound in too tightly and stripped the follower, this was fixed by replacing the screw with small diameter bolt and no problems after that. I also had a new Lee carbide sizing die that had the carbide insert fracture after loading only 100 rounds but decided to replace the dies rather than lose time and money claiming against warranty, a second hand set of RCBS dies came up on an auction site and got them for twenty dollars. Gradually over the last few years all my Lee die sets except one set have been replaced by either Redding, RCBS, Lyman, or CH4D.

Last edited by kiwi56; September 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old September 30, 2009, 11:13 AM   #7
Farmland

I can't say much about their Turret Press, but just so we don't confuse anyone the Lee Classic Cast Press has no plastic. As far as the ram action, it smooths out just like any other ram after some cycles.

This press is in a different class from the usual Lee Products.
Old September 30, 2009, 02:26 PM   #8
TEDDY

Lee

the Lee clasic cast turret is a best buy.its not a progressive but it is auto advance.I have several lee presses and I find them good.I have many dies and molds most Lee.I have not found one to be poor.the molds have all worked with very little hand work. I stone the faces and debur the edges.are there better presses I dont think so.there are presses that work different,but no better.I have most press brands except Redding and Dillon.nothing wrong with them I just dont need them.
the biggest problem with Lee is the price,raise the price to level with others and every one would praise them.are we prejudice you bet we are.if its cost is low it must be junk.
Old September 30, 2009, 07:19 PM   #9
kiwi56

Lee Classic Cast

Farmland my Lee Classic Cast Turret press (18 months old, Note cast iron body not aluminium) does indeed have a plastic follower on the idexing shaft, I will put a photo one here later.

Last edited by kiwi56; September 30, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old September 30, 2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Farmland

Your are probably correct however I'm talking about the Single Stage Press not the Turret press.
Old October 3, 2009, 04:24 PM   #11
jsflagstad

I have been happy with all of my Lee products. They can be a little different, and thus one must read the directions.

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old October 3, 2009, 04:34 PM   #12
Hawg

Heck I've been using the same Lee single stage press for close to 40 years. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds I've turned out on it, if not millions. I've got some Lee dies that are close to that old that are still top notch. Just because something is inexpensive doesn't mean it's cheap.