The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 1, 2008, 09:01 PM   #1
SubSolar

Benelli M4 or M2 Tactical?

I was looking to buy another semiauto shottie in case they get banned by the Obammunists. This one would be strictly for self defense so I wouldn't really need to use light loads. I am looking at the Benelli M4 or M2 Tactical because I don't have a Benelli yet and have heard great things about them. Here are the advantages I see for each one after researching:

M2 Tactical
About a pound lighter (6.75 lbs vs 7.75 lbs)
Greater capacity (5+1 vs 4+1)
Cheaper by at least $400 (some places $600)
Comfortech stock option
Inertia operated system can stay cleaner and easier to field strip

M4
More reliable if you add accessories like lights
Gas operated system can shoot lighter loads
Marines use it (possibly more rugged?)
Less recoil (although I'm not sure if you get the M2 with Comfortech)
Looks better

It seems like the M4 in black is a hot item and sold out at most places. Also the prices at gunbroker and some shops have gone from about $1550 to over $1800 now. Meanwhile the M2 Tactical can be found everywhere and the one I want is about $1150 (Comfortech stock and non-ghost ring sites). Am I missing something here? It seems like the M2 holds it's own with it being lighter, cheaper and holding an extra round. Many say the inertia system is cleaner and easier to field strip too. Is the big price premium for the M4 because the Marines use it?
Old December 3, 2008, 01:04 PM   #2
BigJimP

I'm surprised noone has answered your item. I'm not an expert in "fighting shotguns" - I'm into sporting and target shotguns.

I think you layed out the specs / list price on the M2 with comfort tech is
$ 1379 / M4 in black is $1699 - so its a $ 300 decision.

I think the price difference is because the M4 gas system is more expensive to manufacture / and its unique in their lineup - with their other semi-autos all being the inertia system. There are some dealers taking advantage of the current shortage of these weapons / by jacking up the price - but in general, I will tell you Benelli gives you a lot of gun for your money.

In a sporting gun - I like the Benelli Super Sport with comfort tech / the gun shoots clean, cycles very quickly ( its inertia system) and there isn't anything I don't like about it - and its retailing in my area now for around $ 1,800 and its a good weapon for the money as well. There are cheaper semi-auto sporting shotguns out there ( some under $1,000 ) but value is a relative thing / and sometimes you get what you pay for. The exchange rate on the US dollar vs European mfg's isn't helping the pricing either - and I suspect you will continue to see the price go up / but there are a few used ones around too.

I have fired both weapons / but I don't own either one so I don't have any long term info on either one. One of my sons was a marine / he spoke highly of the M4 version they used ( and that's why I bought the Super Sport sporting gun ) - but I would be tempted to go with the M4 even though it is more money and has less capacity. I think the M2 Comfort Tech will give you about the same recoil as the M-4 / without the comfort tech, the M2 might be 25% more recoil ( but that's a guess ).

You might try a PM to our moderator DaveMc or ScattergunBob and see if they can help you out / they are experts in "Fighting Shotguns".
Old December 3, 2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Death from Afar

*deleted due to user error*

Last edited by Death from Afar; December 3, 2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old December 3, 2008, 03:28 PM   #4
BigJimP

Both the M2 and the M4 are semi-auto shotguns .......I don't understand your comment about "pump/auto combination" on the M4 - is there something I'm missing ?
Old December 3, 2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Death from Afar

Whoops, I was thinking of the M3.
Old December 3, 2008, 04:25 PM   #6
SubSolar

Yeah the M3 is the convertible and am not interested in it. I ended up ordering an M4, found one not marked up in price. I will probably still get an M2 Tactical with non-pistol grip Comfortech stock next year. But those don't seem as hard to find as the M4 so I got the M4 now.
Old December 3, 2008, 04:50 PM   #7
singlestack45

I shoot 3gun and the most common shotgun is the benelli. The M1 annd M2 run great. 3 of the 3 M4's that I have seen have all malfunctioned.
The M4 wins "cool factor" by far, but for dependability I would go with M1M2.
You can buy magazine extentions for M2's and get 10+ rounds. You can also modify the shell carrier and get one more under the bolt. Google Benelli ghost loading.
Old December 3, 2008, 05:02 PM   #8
SubSolar

Yeah, it seems M1 and M2's dominate 3-Gun. Although, I'm not sure how they put extension tubes on it and still comply with 922r for the newer guns...
Old December 3, 2008, 06:15 PM   #9
BigJimP

Congratulations - and be sure and let us know how you like the M4 after you've shot it.

The only reason I hear they malfunction - is guys don't clean and lube them thoroughly after they shoot them every time. The inertia guns, like the
M2, will shoot a lot cleaner and don't have to be cleaned as often - but I strip and clean my Super Sport inertia gun every time I shoot it anyway.
Old December 3, 2008, 06:37 PM   #10
SubSolar

BigJim, I clean my guns every time so I don't think it will be an issue. I almost got a Super Sport about a year ago. I bought a Beretta O/U instead but should've bought the SS! The Benelli was cheaper and more versatile. An O/U is just good for hunting and clay shooting, something I find myself not doing as much as I had planned.
Old December 3, 2008, 08:14 PM   #11
BigJimP

I don't think the M4 will be an issue either - especially since you take care of it. When my oldest son was in the Marine Cops they didn't have any problems with them at all based on what I heard - and they demanded a lot from them - although internally I doubt if its really the same gun / he didn't say the same thing about their M-16's or their Beretta side arms - but that was a few years ago too. I don't know if they still use the M4 or not.

I shoot an O/U a lot when I'm hunting, sporting clays, Skeet etc - and I use the Super Sport as a "rain gun" or as a "travel gun" - where I only want to take one gun to do a variety of things pretty well. I shot it in the rain all day yesterday for Skeet - stripped it completely down ( trigger group out, etc ) and it probably took less than 20 min to clean, lube it, put it back together. My buddy was shooting his Rem 1100 - and he admitted it took him an hour to do the same thing with a gas gun ( and he does it a lot, so he isn't slow because of a learning curve ) a gas gun just takes a lot more attention. Put the Super Sport on your list - or at least look for a good used one / and they're making them in 20ga for the last couple of years as well. Both the 12ga and the 20ga are very good guns / I like the 30" barrel on the 12ga - the longest barrel the 20ga comes with is 28" right now.
Old December 5, 2008, 06:17 PM   #12
strongmind

The M1 super 90 tactical is a great gun, I have one and it is flawless, I also have the M3 pump/auto and love it as well, never had a problem and it is nice to be able to toggle back to pump for different loads. Between the 2 of them you have it all covered