The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2008, 02:09 PM   #1
458winshooter

Heavy .357 mag loads

I am new to this forum,(posted this in wrong place earlier) I am looking for some load info on 180 rem jhp,170 speer jsp,and 180 xtp.C.O.L. 1.620 or shorter.thanks
Old June 16, 2008, 02:29 PM   #2
saudst

?

Hey 458, What will you be useing these loads for? I have a few heavy bullet loads for the .357.
Old June 16, 2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Wuchak

I would check the powder maker websites. I know Hodgdon makes all of their load data available online. I wouldn't trust any load data given on a bb. Not that the people aren't trustworthy it's that it's too easy to mistype something or get powders confused, etc.

I like Lee's Modern Reloading book. He consolidates all of the available load data from the different manufacturers into easy to read tables organized by caliber and bullet weight. Midway had the book with a free Lee single stage C press for just over $20 not long ago. Pretty good deal for a good book and an extra press.

For some guidance or to see what might be possible check out www.handloads.com
Old June 16, 2008, 03:17 PM   #4
458winshooter

357 useage

Deer and hog hunting loads from a 4 inch rossi or a 20 inch puma levergun.The c.o.l. is to fit the revolver,rifle can load out longer.
Old June 16, 2008, 03:29 PM   #5
458winshooter

Lee book

I have a Lee modern reloading as well as a caliber specific and Hornady set.I am wanting to know how well these will work and if anyone has any hunting experience with them.I have been reloading for about 10 years now,and I hope I would recognize something to hot.Thanks for the caution though.
Old June 16, 2008, 03:53 PM   #6
saudst

Great.

Wuchak is right, I never give out load data on line but I'll tell you where to get it. My 14yr. old son just started hunting Whitetail with his .357 blackhawk and when I started developeing his load, I went to the 180gr. XTP. after some penetration testing, I found this bullet to be good. Then I tried the 200gr. WFNGC from Cast Performance and this bullet would penetrate just as deep as my 310gr. FN from Oregon Trail out of my .44mag. You give up some penetration with the XTP because of expansion. People say that a .357mag. is marginal for deer, mostly because of lack of penetration. ie. "only close broadside shots" ect. This bullet will penetrate the largest deer from quartering and break bone to get to the vitals. Try it and you will not be disipointed. Cast performance will give you the data for their stuff and Hodgdon will as well.

Good luck and let us know how you do, Tim.