The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 26, 2007, 02:36 PM   #1
kkduda

turkey gun question

I'm interested in going fall turkey hunting this year, but I don't have a suitable turkey gun yet. I'd like some opinions on my options:

I do have a matte black winchester 1300 , 3" chamber, with a smoothbore 18" barrel and decent sights. Could I get a local gunsmith to thread the barrel to accept a turkey choke and use that?

Or should I just buy a dedicated turkey gun?

Thanks for the guidance
Old September 26, 2007, 03:16 PM   #2
davlandrum

I would suggest first pattern what you got. Try a couple of different brands of turkey loads at realistic ranges. You might be lucky and not have to do anything!

I have no idea what it would cost to have your barrel threaded for choke tubes, but it might be less costly just to buy a new barrel.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 26, 2007, 03:27 PM   #3
kkduda

With the winchester line, its virtually impossible to get replacement or extra barrels. ( I think).

I was under the assumption since I don't have any choke on my shotgun, it would spread the pattern out way too much. I have a few type of turkey ammo, I guess it doesn't hurt to try and see how it is.

I called one local gunsmith and he charges $85 to thread the barrel for a choke. That would be in addition to whatever chokes I would buy, so it would be a fairly costly job. That's why I was considering just buying an inexpensive turkey gun for ~$300.

I'm open to any and all possibilities....
Old September 26, 2007, 11:55 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

As cheap as shotguns are, I'd just buy a dedicated turkey gun or an all-purpose shotgun. My NEF Excel Auto-5, full camo job, 22" bbl, came with 4 chokes, including an extra-full turkey, and a fully adjustable rear and fiber optic front sight, cost me only $351 plus tax brand new. It's smoked a couple of turkeys so far. And pumps are dirt cheap. If you get a Mossy, Remington, or Winchester with a threaded barrel, then you can find chokes from various companies *everywhere*.
Old September 27, 2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Bitmap

Quote:
I would suggest first pattern what you got. Try a couple of different brands of turkey loads at realistic ranges. You might be lucky and not have to do anything!
Good advice!! You could use some of the Hevi-Shot or other steel alternative type shot in duck and goose loads (the ones with shot size #4 or #2 or BB) and take body shots. With the larger shot size and shooting at the body you won't need to pattern as tightly as if you were using #6 and going for the head.

If that doesn't work out well, do you have to use a shotgun where you hunt?

If you don't have to use a shotgun try a .22WMRF rifle. I like using a .38 Special revolver with 158gr. LRN loads. I haven't tried them but some of the lever action rifles in .218 Bee, .25-20, or .32-20 seem like they would be fun. There are plenty of other options out there and you probably own something else that would work well.

$85 seems like a good deal if you have to use the shotgun and it doesn't pattern well enough.
Old September 27, 2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Mavrik

Quote:
Good advice!! You could use some of the Hevi-Shot or other steel alternative type shot in duck and goose loads (the ones with shot size #4 or #2 or BB).
Quote:
If you don't have to use a shotgun try a .22WMRF rifle. I like using a .38 Special revolver with 158gr. LRN loads. I haven't tried them but some of the lever action rifles in .218 Bee, .25-20, or .32-20 seem like they would be fun. There are plenty of other options out there and you probably own something else that would work well.
Check local regulations. As an example the only legal method in MO for turkey (other than Archery) are Shotguns with shot no larger than #4

Mavrik
Old September 27, 2007, 12:48 PM   #7
Scorch

If your current shotgun will not pattern well, and you jsut want a shotgun for turkey once a year, look at a Mossberg. They are fairly good quality and relatively inexpensive, and come with screw-in chokes. If you want an aftermarket barrel for you Winchester, look at Cabela's or Midway.

The only state I know of that allows weapons other than shotguns for turkey is Montana. Most states dropped firearms other than shotguns for turkey back in the 1970s and 1980s.
Old September 27, 2007, 04:13 PM   #8
john1911

Definitely pattern your current shotgun. Hevi-shot patterns better with a little less choke.

If you've never turkey hunted before, I would hold off on a dedicated turkey gun. If you really want a dedicated turkey gun, look at the H&R single shots. They do thump you pretty good, but you won't notice it shooting a turkey. A recoil shield will help with patterning.