The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 10, 2005, 12:11 PM   #1
trespass

compstock?

anybody tried the compstock? from knoxx. supposed to cut recoil 50% plus...but, looks like might be longer than the factory stock.
Old June 10, 2005, 07:34 PM   #2
ShottyTim

i believe its about the same as a factory stock, i thought the same as you did when i first saw it, but i have been researching them extensively cause i will be purchasing the breachers grip as soon as i can get the money =P

meaning come and get them
Old June 10, 2005, 08:01 PM   #3
XavierBreath

I have one on my Mossy 500. I can take it or leave it. If I had to do it over again, I would just buy a regular Hogue overmold. I had to cut out a piece of the rear part to keep it from jamming on the rear sling swivel under recoil. Does it work? Yes, although the thing is a bit disconcerting at first.

FWIW, mine was/is the same length as the factory stock.
Old June 11, 2005, 07:45 AM   #4
Tomac

The first time I tried the CopStock I ran 58 rds of 2-3/4" Magnum #1 Buck with only a little tenderness & rash to show for it. The perceived recoil reduction is real and that sold me. My best friend (cop) tried it and immediately wanted one on his 870. I'm not big into folders or pistol grips on shotguns but it sure is nice being able put out heavy loads accurately as fast as I can work the action. I now use full-power loads exclusively for long practice sessions thanks to the CopStock.
Tomac
PS- IIRC Knoxx is coming out with a non-folding recoil-reducing stock that resembles the AR collapsible buttstock & pistol grip.
Old June 13, 2005, 12:45 PM   #5
CaCrusin

Quote:
Xavierbreath wrote: "I have one on my Mossy 500. I can take it or leave it. If I had to do it over again, I would just buy a regular Hogue overmold. I had to cut out a piece of the rear part to keep it from jamming on the rear sling swivel under recoil. Does it work? Yes, although the thing is a bit disconcerting at first."
Why haven't I heard from you? If you're not satisfied with your CompStock or it's not working correctly, I want to know about it.

You mentioned that you installed a sling stud and had to relieve the hard sleeve. If you put the stud in the old hole which it sounds like you did, that may be causing the problem by reducing the movement of the internal cam. The stud should be moved two inches further forward on the stock.

Are you pressing the stock firmly against your shoulder when you shoot? If so, that also is part of the problem. Pressing the stock firmly against your shoulder preloads the mechanism and reduces its effectivemess. Try this: Remove the stud and shoot the shotgun with the buttpad resting gently on your shoulder and see if there isn't a significant improvement in recoil reduction.

Call me to get a replacement hard sleeve. (877-465-6699 toll-free).

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old June 13, 2005, 03:26 PM   #6
XavierBreath

CC,
I placed the sling swivel stud in the threaded hole that was already in the stock. This hole is 4 inches from the rear of the grip portion of the stock. I bought this stock about one and a half to two years ago, and it may have been one of the first ones, I don't know. The newer ones may have the sling stud hole further forward.

I placed the stock to my shoulder like I do any other shotgun. I do not believe that compressed anything, but it very well may have pre-loaded the system. Regardless, I do not want to change my shooting habits to accomodate one shotgun, especially a HD gun. For my wife though, that is fine. She doesn't shoot other shotguns.

After notching out the sleeve for clearance, the stock works fine. I only had to notch about 1/4 inch on the bottom of the sleeve, about the width of the sling stud. It has been working fine since.

My main purpose for buying the stock was to have a HD shotgun that both myself and my wife could use. I can say that it works well enough that she will shoot 12 gauge.

I really appreciate your generous offer of a replacement sleeve, but it's not necessary. I am not the type of person who buys a product and if it fails in any way starts contacting the manufacturer complaining. That's why you never heard from me. I'm the type who just tries to get things to work. I'm the guy with the box of broken parts and parts that did not quite make the grade. Once your Compstock sleeve was notched, there were no further problems, and it is on the gun to this day. Am I satisfied? Yes. Would I buy it again? Probably not. That does not mean that the Compstock is not a very well made product. It is. It is rugged, solid, and it does absorb recoil.

Please do not think I am slamming your product. I'm not. Even if the Compstock had never hung up on the sling swivel, ie, even if it had worked as advertised from day one, I would have found it disconcerting. It's just the sensation of the BOOM coupled with something collapsing into me that I do not care for. Strange, but I'm so used to recoil pushing that shoulder that if it doesn't I think something is wrong, very much the same as if one of my 1911s fired a squib.

The entire problem was effectively solved for me when I set up a Winchester 1200 with a Hogue overmold and the "corncob" forend that I prefer. My wife likes the Mossy with the Compstock.

If I may, I would like to suggest two ways of potential improvement though. If there was a way to adjust the recoil asorbtion properties, that would be great. The sleeve only hung on the stud with full loads. The shotgun is loaded with low recoil 00 buck for HD. If I could adjust it for even more absorbtion, my better half would be pleased. The other suggestion would be the option of that synthetic ribbed forend I prefer. The Hogue is nice, but it just isn't the same for some folks.