The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 10, 2012, 05:33 PM   #26
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
They are very stout. Very.
Well, I said I'd like to try some.
Luckily, that does not need to mean many!!

That could mean only 2...
Old December 10, 2012, 07:38 PM   #27
2damnold4this

I'd go with one of the Smith J frames. The requirement to carry a semi with no round in the chamber is a deal breaker for the Mak and the J frames are easy to tote.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:17 PM   #28
9mmhpfan

When I was a kid one of the best pieces of advice I ever got from some old timers,( which I am their age now, so i guess that makes me an old timer.) was go to your local Wal-Mart (or comparable in your country) and check and see what ammo they always have in stock and then look at the pricing for the ammo. Next consider the caliber you are thinking about, now do you see it in the display case, if not pass on it and find a weapon in a caliber that is in stock in that display case.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:41 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

On the plus side, if the bulge isn't bad, and isn't at the frame or forcing cone, you may be pleasantly surprised at how well the gun will still shoot.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:10 AM   #30
KMAX

+1 to what 9mmhpfan said. This is one of my basic criteria for my gun purchases. I don't buy all, but most, of my ammo from Walmart due to low costs and availability. Also if a handgun won't run Winchester White Box I don't keep it long. I like to shoot a lot and not break the bank and I want to be able to buy ammo on Sunday. No LGS open here on Sunday.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 12, 2012, 12:03 PM   #31
bossman

I like the S&W 638 shrouded hammer and a set of Crimson Trace laser grips. The gun is great for both the pocket or on the belt. The laser grips are great for setting around the house and practicing point of aim and is cheap entertainment for my critters. If I'm feeling friskey I carry a S&W 60 3 inch barrel .357 but like the lighter weight of the 638. Both are 5 round J frames and are great guns.

If I carry an auto it's a officers size 1911 45 acp or a Glock 36 45acp. Both are 6+1. So you can tell low round count doesn't bother me.

For me the 638 is the one that I grab when running errands and around the house. I really like the fact that I can shoot it in single action as I'm an old single action revolver shooter,still in love with the 45 Colt.

Get some 158 gr lswc and start working on them reloads. When you go into a high risk area start practicing the quick chambering with that G 19. Good luck with your choice and any of the S&W Airweights should give you years of great service. The J frames are well supported in all areas for accessories.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:14 AM   #32
Laz

In spite of my love for J-frame Smith and Wessons, I am tempted to suggest the Makarov due to its proximity, capacity, and utter simplicity of construction. The fact, however, that you must carry it chamber empty gives me pause and tilts the balance in favor of either Smith, whichever you feel is the better buy and you like more. I would lean toward the 640, myself.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:15 AM   #33
CajunBass

I'm a S&W Wesson guy, so the two revolvers would most likely be at the top of the list.

Having said that, I've never been too enchanged with a "J" frame sized revolver. If it was a 6 shot K frame, it would be a no brainer.

I did have a Bulgarian Mak for a time. Man that thing was a good shooter. I guess the fixed barrel made it shoot so well. Recoil was kind of snappy, but not bad. I would imagine that 9x18 ammo is pretty common where you are. It wasn't around here, which is one reason I traded the Mak off. (I had a CZ-82 for a while too. Another good gun.)

I'd go with the Mak since for you it seems to be a lot more convient and accessable.

Best of luck whichever you choose.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 13, 2012, 03:27 PM   #34
Tennessee Jed

I have two S&W airweights (the 642 and the 638) which I like a lot. However, if I were to do it all over again, I'd get the heavier 640. I don't feel THAT much difference in the weight when carrying, but I know I'd feel a bigger difference when shooting.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:27 AM   #35
colbad

the 640 has a internal hammer and comes in .357 mag. This would be my choice.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:32 AM   #36
Hal

Quote:
I like the S&W options, espcially with a shrouded hammer, for their ease of carry, weight and the fact that they, legally, circumvent the no chambered round law
You can carry loaded - but -if it's a semi auto it can't have one in the chamber?
Silly as it is,,,I guess the law is the law...
Since that's what the law is, then I'll change and say....none.
I'd wait until a six shot S&W came along.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:42 AM   #37
EdInk

Whichever S&W is the better deal for the money.