The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2007, 09:30 PM   #1
mike83

Shot my first reloads

I finally loaded and shot my fist loads (got the equipment for Christmas). I loaded some .223 rounds and probably spent about 15 minutes to load the first one. I had complete confidence until the hammer was cocked and it was time to pull the trigger.

P.S. the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 powder dispenser is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Hit a button and there is your powder.
Old January 4, 2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Rimrod

You didn't mention if there were any problems but since you're able to write this it must have been all right.
Old January 4, 2007, 10:23 PM   #3
CERBERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike83
P.S. the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 powder dispenser is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Hit a button and there is your powder.
I have been eying one of those, with the electronic scale that talks to it.
Old January 4, 2007, 10:34 PM   #4
mike83

No problems other than I crushed one piece of brass,and powder dispenser can be programed for different powder or bullet weights and just find the one you want and hit the disp button. I think it will hold 30 saved loads. Thanks for reading.
Old January 4, 2007, 11:04 PM   #5
jsflagstad

Pretty satisfying shooting your own reloads isn't it?

I have the comparable unit to your chargemaster in the lyman unit, you're right they are a neat unit.

JSF
Old January 4, 2007, 11:55 PM   #6
dgc940

man if you got the reload kit and the dispenser for Christmas someone must love you!
Old January 5, 2007, 01:35 AM   #7
mrawesome22

Welcome to the club. It's a great hobby and you'll never be happy with factory ammo again LOL.
Old January 5, 2007, 05:25 AM   #8
qajaq59

Great and......

Now you can be like the rest of us and start looking for that "perfect" load that always goes dead center. that should keep you busy for about 45 years.
Old January 5, 2007, 07:22 AM   #9
ammo.crafter

Before you know it you'll be cuttung down, reaming,fire-forming your own brass and creating who knows what. Enjoy!
Old January 5, 2007, 07:34 AM   #10
DanV1317

Haha, i held the gun as far away from my as possible, and i think i even turned my head away when i shot my first reloads. Luckly nothing blew up and it was a successful day.

After i opened my eyes again, i realized my hand was still there. What a relief.
Old January 6, 2007, 12:18 AM   #11
Dave R

Congratulations! Glad it turned out OK.

Are you doing the "work up a load" thing? Starting with the minimum powder charge, and working up, to see where max accuracy is?

There are threads here on the "ladder method", the "OCW" method, etc. Happy reading.

I love finding a good load. Makes me feel like a flippin' magician.
Old January 7, 2007, 04:32 PM   #12
JohnLizCas

first timer

Congratulations. You're stepping into a whole new world. Enjoy and stay safe. John
Old January 7, 2007, 04:38 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Glad to see another victim of the reloading addiction! I can't wait to get my new bench built. Hmmm....sounds like I need to start another thread...

Take your time and be sure to take notes. It helps me to keep track on what I did with what.
Old January 8, 2007, 08:43 AM   #14
Buckythebrewer

I would just like to add,Watch out for learning bad habits..use Safety glasses.Watch for double charges and Loads over pressure..Start loads(from manuals) will always work well and are safe.If you want more velocity,get a chronograph and work up the loads looking for over pressure signs as you go..I always check all my charged rounds with a flash light before seating bullets(I do everything with a single stage press for my ar15,,Its all I have).
make sure primers are seated properly(not to hard,but also not to lightly).
Just some things to think about.You probably already know this stuff but I thought I would mention it.Have fun

Oh ,,Always Go by MODERN published reloading data like LEE,Or LYMAN,ETC,ETC.
Using the wrong powder with the wrong charge is the easiest and quickest way to get Hurt or killed in reloading..A double charge of the wrong powder can make a hand grenade in your hand.
I have fired many 1000's of my reloads in MY encore and ar15's and have been very lucky to have gotten great products and safe reloading info from Lee and Lyman.That has kept me alive IMO..Being humble is what will keep you safe in reloading.As well as fear guiding you to be safe and responsible.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:54 AM   #15
castnblast

Congrats, and good luck...

Remember the "Golden Rules" of reloading...

Check, once, check again, and check a third time.

Always zero your scale.

Always double check your data.

When in doubt, throw it out...Or take it apart as I do...I'm a cheapskate and hate wasting components...

Always wear safety glasses... when loading and shooting...

I'm sure there are others...These have kept me w/ all my eyes, fingers, toes, and arms for the last 20 years...