The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 2, 2006, 06:02 PM   #1
Jack O'Conner

Exotic animals and hunting

I have no affiliation with game ranches at all. Most of the photos of exotics were copied from non-copywrited web sources. I'm a building Inspector in western South Dakota. Code compliance, plans review, and such. Not very exciting but I like to be outdoors and involved with construction.

Exotics right here in the Black Hills! Rocky mountain goats were introduced from Montana over a century ago. Desert bighorn sheep from southern California introduced to Badlands in late 1940's. Rocky mountain bighorn sheep introduced to the Black Hills in 1950's and 60's. They're all thriving.

Many exotic game ranches in Texas, Florida, and even Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York, and Tennessee. Couple in Missouri and Maine. This is spreading because of hunter interest and profits. The hunt does NOT have to be canned. A guy can make it challenging by hunting with a handgun, archery, muzzle-loader, slug shooting shotgun, or lever action carbine. Stalking to within 75 yards or less is anything but easy on the better managed ranches.

Please do not ask me to recommend a specific game ranch. You can easily conduct your own research. Look at size (acres), length (years) of operation, ask for references and call a few guys who hunted there.

Why do I like the exotics? I truely enjoy seeing the many animal species. Sort of like a huge zoo. Not really a zoo but I hope you know what I mean. For the trophy collector there is what is commonly known as the Grande Slam of American Exotics. I plan to share more photos and facts of each of these animals considered part of this Grande Slam. Will I ever complete this Grande Slam? No, I'm not wealthy. But I plan to hunt a few of the deer species within the next 5 years or so.
Jack
Old January 8, 2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Mannlicher

Exotics and Hunting?

IMHO, the two are mutually exclusive. Shooting farm raised animals that are raised and contained in a limited enviroment is, well, shooting, not hunting.
Personally, I don't mind what folks do, but at least call it what it is.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan