The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 17, 2019, 06:00 PM   #26
PAJoe1022

One other thing I should mention, I bought quality scope rings for the scope when I got it, I can't remember but I think they are Leupold. I have the packaging somewhere, I'll have to check.
Old January 17, 2019, 09:20 PM   #27
PAJoe1022

I went over to the sporting goods store this evening and bought a few boxes of CCI standard velocity. I'll report back after my next trip to the range.
Old January 19, 2019, 11:54 AM   #28
tangolima

Aquila standard velocity is my choice ammunition for 22lr. Cheaper and could even be better than cci.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old February 15, 2019, 10:15 AM   #29
Rollcrimp1

All great advice here

My 10/22 is just about my favorite range gun, simply for the fun of it. Yes I souped it up, heavy barrel, custom receiver and internals, custom scope rail with built in bubble indicator and I also use the Nikon Prostaff. As the peeps here noted, with good ammo and a well sighted scope the consistent 1MOA groups at 50 yards are within the realm of the doable. Of course some practice and skills go along with that but if you do your part the gun will perform. I will also note that with the exception of the AR the 10/22 is the most talked about and customable gun that’s ever been made and that’s part of the fun of owning one. You can really make it your own! Or just shoot it out of the box. It’s outstanding just the way it is. So don’t be discouraged by your groups. Find the right ammo that works best for your particular gun, that will be your first challenge. Then practice and make sure your scope is properly sighted. Last but not least grab yourself a copy of James and Kathleen House’s “Customize the Ruger 10/22” 2nd edition and give it your undivided attention. And most of all have fun doing it. After more than 50 years of shooting I still feel like a kid when I use my 10/22.
Old February 15, 2019, 07:53 PM   #30
kymasabe

I have a 10/22 carbine that I bought at Walmart 13 years ago, has a yellow jacket bolt buffer in it and a Power Custom hammer, wears an old Barska 3-12x40 AO scope, and on a sand bag have no problem putting all 10 rounds in a 1 inch square at 50 yards, with the right ammo, usually Wolf or SK.
Old February 16, 2019, 10:40 AM   #31
the possum

The accuracy mentioned in the first post was completely typical for both of my 10/22's. Everyone chimed in with all kinds of advice, probably making him doubt every single facet of his equipment and technique. When in fact, 4" or even 6" groups at 50 yards may be the best that gun can do with the first random box of ammo ya shoot through it. Like I said, 5" groups were the norm for both of my rifles, fired from a Lead Sled, with half a dozen different kinds of ammo.

Both would do better with one particular kind of ammo, like most of you are saying. But that ammo cost 3 times more, and was less common on store shelves (and unobtanium during the panic). I got tired of that b.s., so I finally bought a Green Mountain barrel for one of them, which confirmed that both of the factory Ruger barrels are just junk. Now, every single kind of cheap bulk pack ammo shoots tighter groups than the expensive ammo did from the old barrel!
Old February 16, 2019, 11:52 AM   #32
pete2

I would expect 1 to 1-1/2" groups with ammo the gun likes. I have a couple that I bought in the last 5 or 6 years that shoot well with CCI Tactical ammo. These rifles are the plain carbine wit a DIY trigger job to bring the pull down to 3-1/2#. I did not have good results with Fed. Auto Match altho the Fed shoots really well in my Ruger MKII pistol.
Old February 16, 2019, 12:40 PM   #33
kymasabe

Oh...forgot to mention: my 10/22 shoots all over the place when my barrel is spotless clean, needs at least 100 rounds to start to foul the barrel a bit and tighten up my groups. Keep shooting it, try different ammo, and watch your groups shrink.