The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 26, 2018, 05:15 PM   #1
Wendyj

Marlin Model 60

I’ve been looking at these and reading about them for a few months. Would like to have a nice used one but can’t find any that aren’t all rusted out or beat to death. The new models are on sale at decent prices. Was wondering if anyone owns the newer one and opinions. Would like to do some plinking and squirrel hunting with it. Don’t care much for the 10-22 and the Marlin has a higher cheek weld to it. I’m wanting to scope it with a Vortex 2x7..
Old December 26, 2018, 06:03 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Last new 60 I had here had a synthetic stock.
Shot well, but Marlin was obviously cheapening the model.
Not up to my older one from 40 years ago.
Denis
Old December 26, 2018, 06:08 PM   #3
kenny53

I have three model 60. I have had more but gave some away. I never bought a new one always finding them in pawn shops, most under $100. One was almost brand new and I gave $117 for it. They are all great shooters. The one that was almost brand new is my favorite. Black composite stock and deadly accurate. My buddy from California was up for a visit last month and he fell in love with it. I had to check his luggage when he left just to make sure he didn't barrow it.
Old December 26, 2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Hawg

I've got an old one and a SS one in a laminated stock I bought new about five years ago. The newer one runs just as good as the old one and is just as accurate it just has a shorter barrel and mag tube.
Old December 26, 2018, 08:11 PM   #5
jmr40

Quote:
Don’t care much for the 10-22 and the Marlin has a higher cheek weld to it. I’m wanting to scope it with a Vortex 2x7..

The Marlin is a decent gun, but I'd strongly reconsider the 10-22. I don't care for the standard carbine either, but they currently show 88 different versions of the 10-22 on their website. If you throw in discontinued versions they've made over 100 different variations of the 10-22. Many of them actually designed to fit an adult. The standard carbine is not.

My favorite. And they don't cost much, if any more than the standard carbine. This out shoots my CZ 452.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Sport...eets/1237.html

Winston Churchill
Old December 26, 2018, 08:21 PM   #6
krimmie

You may also look for a Foremost model 6660, same gun as the 60, built by Marlin for JC Penney.
Old December 26, 2018, 08:33 PM   #7
GlocksRfun

I sold mine 8 months ago to buy a 10-22. The Marlin was a nice enough gun, it just wasn't fun to shoot (for me) I'm not a fan of the tube feeding system.
Old December 26, 2018, 09:38 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
I sold mine 8 months ago to buy a 10-22. The Marlin was a nice enough gun, it just wasn't fun to shoot (for me) I'm not a fan of the tube feeding system.
After 6 or 7 years of non use I gave my 10-22 to my niece. I don't like the Ruger mag and it was the least accurate .22 I owned. I'm not saying it wasn't decently accurate but it was nothing to brag about.
Old December 26, 2018, 09:49 PM   #9
Targa

I have a newer one with the black synthetic stock, very happy with it.
Old December 26, 2018, 10:03 PM   #10
berettaprofessor

Get a Marlin 795. Same fun, with a 10 shot magazine instead of the tube.
Old December 27, 2018, 01:56 AM   #11
jstanfield103

I have the Stainless Steel Model 60. Have it scoped and is very accurate. Bought at Walmart I think for $195 with scope on it. If I could of found one without the scope I would have bought that one instead. The scope that comes on them are really just plain junk.

Mine is very accurate and holds 15 rounds of 22lr. The only problem I have had with it was when shooting it yesterday I noticed the front sight has loosened up. Never noticed till yesterday due to it being scoped. When I went to tighten the screw up on the front sight the head of the screw came in to two pieces. Called Marlin they are sending me one right out. No problems. I just used a screw plug for the screw hole and probably will leave the sight off of the rifle. Like the looks of it that way. If I ever change the scope or take it off I will have the sight and screw to put it back on the rifle.

Buy with confidence they are a great rifle.
Old December 27, 2018, 02:54 AM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
I have the Stainless Steel Model 60. Have it scoped and is very accurate. Bought at Walmart I think for $195 with scope on it. If I could of found one without the scope I would have bought that one instead. The scope that comes on them are really just plain junk.
I never took the scope that came with mine out of the box. I bought a fixed 4X Bushnell for 25.00 and it's still a good scope.
Old December 27, 2018, 07:26 AM   #13
stillquietvoice

I have 2 older models a glenfield 60 and a pre rem both run well and plenty accurate. Triggers are a little heavy but can be lightened with a 30 dollar spring kit.
Old December 27, 2018, 09:15 AM   #14
Picher

A neighbor brought a Model 55?, pre-"Curser" to the 60 for me to fix this fall. There were a couple of problems including a broken ejector spring and the Magazine tube follower.

It was not the most fun I've ever had working on guns, but managed to fix it and get it back together...a major problem, since I'd never taken one apart and will NEVER do it again! Couldn't get the magazine tube apart without dynamite, so found a (new) replacement that's very nice.
Old December 27, 2018, 09:26 AM   #15
ms6852

I have one in a laminated stock, has very decent accuracy. If money is not an issue would recommend a Savage or a CZ.
Old December 27, 2018, 09:29 AM   #16
FITASC

I have a newer one from a few years ago and it shoots better then the 10/22 side by side using the same ammo AND it is cheaper to buy. Got mine for $169 and Gander threw in a few boxes of RWS target ammo to boot.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 27, 2018, 09:54 AM   #17
jstanfield103

Hawg,
Tried the scope that came with it once. Then put a Bushnell 4x10-32 on her.
Old December 27, 2018, 10:17 AM   #18
Wendyj

I'm not knocking the 10-22. Have had a few but don't feel right in my hands. My husband bought my Dad one for Christmas. He wanted a used one and we got the last decent one they had. It outshot the 10-22 all day long. My husband broke it down and it was black inside with looked like 30 years of no cleaning at all. Wasn't a hard breakdown with the exception of the spring that always wont's to bend going back together. I have tried to find another older model but they just are not in any condition to consider buying. I was amazed at the accuracy in it and even more so that it was so dirty it shouldn't have even shot. I tried scoping my Henry Golden boy 22 but the drop in the stock makes scope use really hard to get a cheek on the stock. Even putting risers on it the scope was still too high. The Vortex 2x7 I have will work fine for the kind of use I want out of it. I mainly want it for a working man's gun. I am leaning toward synthetic now since the newer stocks seem pretty shabby compared to the older models.
Old December 27, 2018, 11:34 AM   #19
littlebikerider

I have a wood/blue Marlin 60 I bought a year or two ago. It shoots just fine! Like you, I have nothing against the 10/22, I just prefer the feel and balance of the Marlin. It may be nostalgia, since that it what I got to shoot when I was a kid.

The Marlin is inexpensive, and built as well as it ever was. Don't waste your time trying to buy a used one and save 50 bucks, just find a sale on which variant of the Model 60 you like best and buy it. Heck, if it's under $150, buy a spare!
Old December 27, 2018, 03:27 PM   #20
DPris
Member Emeritus

I'd disagree on built as well as it used to be.
Still do-able.
Denis
Old December 27, 2018, 04:08 PM   #21
COSteve

While I have 2ea 1973 Ruger 10-22s I got NIB in '73 for me and my new bride, I ended up buying a NIB Marlin Model 60 back in 1979 as the Rugers weren't that impressive to me either. I originally got the 10-22s because I have a couple of M1 Carbines I love but the Ruger was just ok at the time.

However, my Marlin Model 60 has been a joy. No, I'm not that fond of a tubular mag when it comes time to reload it, but it's better than the 10rd mags that were all that was available for the Ruger until much later. The real advantage of the Marlin is the balance, the feel, the sights, and especially the accuracy.

My Marlin has many, many squirrels to it's favor as well as tons of pine cones. A great plinker, it's the rifle I taught my son and daughter how to shoot on leaving the 10-22's in at home. Interestingly, my wife likes the Marlin better than her 10-22 as well so both of them have pretty much sat unused for 45+ years.
Old December 27, 2018, 07:00 PM   #22
Wendyj

I appreciate everyone’s input. I stopped by Acadamy and picked up the wood stock 60 on sale and a Centerpoint one piece scope mount. It was a high mount which isn’t what I wanted but all they had. Puts scope 2.2 inches above the bore. Before mounting I cleaned the barrel and ran about 8 cheap Thunderbolts through it. Will most likely use Federal match or CCI depending on what it likes the best. Rig feels good scoped up. Light enough to carry all day but balanced out nice. My10-22 has issues with the cheap Thunderbolt bulk ammo but this one seems fine. Thought about a lower mount with this scope but may buy a bigger objective and it will be ok. Going to catch some lower rings until I find a better scope but will zero it in first and see how it groups. Worse case scenario I can loosen 2 screws and slide it off the dovetail and use open sights. Only the firing range will tell for now. Trigger not the greatest but better than the 10-22 I had. Not as crisp as the Henry. I have 3 Henry’s so the tubular loading is no issue. Got out the door with gun and mount under $180.
Old December 27, 2018, 07:34 PM   #23
littlebikerider

Dang, that was a good deal! Run a bunch of different types of ammo through it and see what it likes best, every gun seems to have it's own mind about such things.
Old December 28, 2018, 01:28 AM   #24
BusGunner007

...soon to be classified as an 'assault rifle ' in Washington State.
Old December 28, 2018, 07:02 AM   #25
stillquietvoice

Research trigger spring kits that are cheap enough and fairly easy to install.

Also order a spare buffer about 10 dollars online. They break sometimes best to have part on hand to minimize down time.
Better to have and not need than need and not have.
MCarbo target trigger 29.95, spring kit 29.95.

Last edited by stillquietvoice; December 28, 2018 at 07:32 AM.