The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 29, 2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

So much fail ... in one article

Disclosure: My brother lives in Connecticut and I have a Connecticut carry permit. I thought I knew Connecticut's gun laws fairly well. Then I stumbled across this on CNN:

http://www.wfsb.com/story/22704521/m...-ct?hpt=us_bn7

Quote:
Lebanon's First Selectwoman, Joyce Okonuk, has paid attention to the recent rise.

"It's a steady rise in the past two years," said Okonuk. "So it's gotten even more extreme at this point."

Okonuk said in recent months, especially after the Newtown shooting, she saw a dramatic increase in registration applications.
There is no firearm registration in Connecticut (except for "assault weapons"). Purchases from FFLs get reported to the state police, much like Pennsylvania, but until the new law was passed in April 2013 face-to-face transfers of long guns were unregulated. People with a pistol permit or a hunting license could buy a long gun anywhere in the state -- there is no "application" to a town to "register" or to purchase a firearm.

Quote:
The dilemma with guns outnumbering residents has also occurred in Chaplin, Colebrook, Eastford, Goshen, Hampton, Harwinton, Lyme, Norfolk, Roxbury, Salem, Union and Voluntown.
I fail to see how this in any way qualifies as a "dilemma." I know some families who own more vehicles than there are people in the family. Is this cause for a national headline about the "motor vehicle dilemma"?

Quote:
The number of guns versus residents in Lebanon still troubles Okonuk. She said the town is more meticulous in how they approve the gun applications.

The town will take a closer look at the background checks of applicants and have them interview with the resident state trooper said Okonuk.
And, once again, there are NO "gun applications" in Connecticut. If she is referring to applicants for a carry permit (or the new long gun eligibility certificates, or ammunition eligibility certificates), the law is the law and the law doesn't provide for the resident state trooper or any other official to require an interview with the applicant.

Sheesh.
Old June 30, 2013, 12:31 AM   #2
kilimanjaro

Hopefully, she gets voted out, now that folks know what an idiot she is.
Old June 30, 2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Koda94

Quote:
Scott Lawlor from the Criminal Division of the State's Office of Policy and Management said he expects to see the numbers rise as more law abiding gun owners take measures to stay within the law, especially since the state's gun law passed.

"We're definitely going to see a lot more people who themselves get a license or credential," said Lawlor. "We'll see a lot more firearms enter our database.
I'm curious what that 'database' is?
and why is someone from the "criminal division" tracking law abiding citizens?
Old June 30, 2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda94
I'm curious what that 'database' is?
and why is someone from the "criminal division" tracking law abiding citizens?
Connecticut has two databases.

First, Connecticut enacted an AWB in 1993. Previously-owned long guns (primarily AR-15-pattern rifles) that fell under the definition of "assault weapon" were allowed to be kept, but had to be registered with the CT State Police. The new law passed in April added over 100 specific firearms to the assault weapon definition by name, as well as changing the definition from a "two evil feature" definition like the old Federal AWB to a ONE evil feature definition. So people who owned such firearms as of the date of the law (April, IIRC) have until January 1, 2014, to register them. So that will swell the registry significantly.

In addition, Connecticut (like Pennsylvania) has a report form that must be filled out by the FFL for all firearms purchases or transfers, to report them to the State Police. Until the new law in April, private sales of handguns in CT required the seller to submit the same form to the State Police, but long guns were exempt and you could sell a rifle in Connecticut just as if you lived in a free world. The new law will make ALL private sales of firearms subject to this requirement. Part of it is calling the State Police to get an authorization for each sale.

So they have a database of all sales that have gone through the authorization and reporting process. But it's not a blanket registration, because (as I noted) until April long guns weren't covered, plus there is no requirement to register currently-owned firearms if someone moves into Connecticut from a free state. (Not likely -- seems there are more people leaving than arriving.)

Confused? So are my friends in Connecticut, and I've been informed that even the State Police Firearms Unit has declined to answer questions because they don't understand what the law says and requires.
Old June 30, 2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Koda94

Quote:
Confused?
yes. perplexed....

One of the things reading posts like this one causes me to be thankful I live where I do (for now....). Its been a huge eye opener to start reading on this forum about all the gun laws across America.

The article you shared is sad, the use of lowly ad hominem's to make a lawful person "the problem" that does not exist is only propaganda.
Quote:
"I'm looking to buy another one for the upcoming hunting season," Mullins said. "Why so many? Because I can."

Residents like Mullins are contributing to the rise of legally registered guns in Lebanon............................ The dilemma with guns outnumbering residents has also occurred in...
"delimma"?? a delimma of lawfully owned guns?
Old June 30, 2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Pilot

Many of us have more than one gun per person. Different guns, have different uses, or we just like different guns. I take more than one gun per range session, usually a mix of calibers, hand guns, and long guns. She certainly is clueless about gun ownership.
Old June 30, 2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Jayster

Misinformation is the antis tool of the trade. About the only thing that can fight it is fact but the problem is the knee jerkers don't want to hear fact. Hopefully fairer minds will eventually prevail.
Old June 30, 2013, 08:06 PM   #8
SamNavy

Quote:
Police confirmed that many crimes are committed with unregistered guns, but the state hopes the new gun law fixed that loophole by tracking ammunition.
Sooo... if I'm your average criminal with an unregistered gun (no kidding, right?), I'm probably not going to qualify for an ammo purchases, right? Guess I'd be totally screwed, I'd never be able to get ammo without the government approved licence. Those darn pesky politicians know exactly how to throw a wrench in things.
Old June 30, 2013, 08:36 PM   #9
Romeo 33 Delta

Says the criminal: "Gosh Darnit ... now I gotta' steal ammo too? What is this state coming to????"
Old June 30, 2013, 10:20 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Any enterprising criminal will rent a car, drive to Vermont or New Hampshire, stock up, and drive home to sell it on the streets of Bridgeport and Hartford. And they won't be asking for the buyer's "ammunition eligibility certificate."
Old July 1, 2013, 08:54 AM   #11
csmsss

I think this is even worse: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ding-pond.html

The level of ignorance rises well past "stupidity" and into jaw-dropping territory. And the paranoia and fear of an inanimate object, well...this is what we could be facing in the not-so-distant future if we are not diligent and aggressive in defending our rights.
Old July 1, 2013, 01:57 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

I wonder how many of those concerned about guns "outnumbering residents" play golf. OR have a spouse that plays golf?

I mean, really, how many of those clubs do they NEED?

Aren't there over a dozen of these potentially lethal implements in each bag?

And golf isn't a constitutional right, its just a stupid game.....
(feel free to disagree, if you do...)

then again, I suppose these folk might think you only need one knife in the kitchen....

There are lots and lots of things in life where we own and use a variety of tools because one just doesn't do everything we need done. I have a variety of guns for that reason. Perhaps the problem is that we have too many "public servants", not too many guns or golf clubs....
Old July 3, 2013, 10:54 PM   #13
KyJim

Quote:
I think this is even worse: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ding-pond.html

The level of ignorance rises well past "stupidity" and into jaw-dropping territory. And the paranoia and fear of an inanimate object, well...this is what we could be facing in the not-so-distant future if we are not diligent and aggressive in defending our rights.
So what started you thinking "stupidity?" Was it the 2.2 mm bullets? Or was it the sentence, "Mr Tipping called alerted his partner Ms Mercer and headed to a friend’s house - incredibly, with the bullets in his pocket." Or was it . . . never mind. Just too much stupid there to quote.