The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 29, 2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Machineguntony

Anyone here find shooting at paper targets boring?

So yesterday a friend and I went shooting on another friends farm.

We brought out some of his NFA machine guns and a 50 bmg.

It's so much more fun when you can see stuff being destroyed or blown up.

We shot up a number of water filled milk jugs, water balloons, old watermelons, a half eaten cantelope, a half eaten roasted chicken dangling by its drumstick, some corn cobbs, an old cabinet drawer, an old TV, a broken iPad, some old cell phones, one old phone books (which nicely retained some mushroomed bullets), a big block of thickly made gelatin, a normal and unshaken coca cola two liter (awesome results), a well shaken two liter bottle of coca cola (warning, be far away), and a very old kitchen sink.
Old June 29, 2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I had access to a color plotter, and some of the images we printed to shoot at, I wouldn't want to say on here, but we were trying to put a hole in a hole.
Old June 29, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Pumpkins filled with water. A hand-size chunk went twirling 30' in a nice arch
Old June 29, 2013, 11:02 AM   #4
dahermit

Steel targets that tip over, swing, fall, etc., are always more interesting/fun than paper targets. They also make less mess and damage to the environment than many of the traditional (bottles, etc.) plinking targets of years gone by.
Old June 29, 2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Closing The Gap

Yep extremely boring. But our current location makes anything else a non starter. I cannot wait until we are back in the desert...
Old June 29, 2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Dashunde

Very boring... to the point I wont waste ammo on it except for ccw practice on a paper plate.

Although I have been kicking around getting a nice .17hmr for pure accuracy "excitement"
Old June 29, 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Machineguntony

Now that you mention it, the steel plinking targets are very fun. The sound of ding ding ding is very satisfying.
Old June 30, 2013, 06:36 AM   #8
TheNatureBoy

I shoot paper targets when I'm load developing and steel when I'm shooting for fun with friends.
Old June 30, 2013, 08:23 AM   #9
8MM Mauser

Paper is fun for me to start the day of shooting. I usually shoot for accuracy through a couple mags and then begin plinking on bottles/cans and/or steel and I train for speed when I do that. That said, shooting "stuff" is more fun but I always feel guilty if I don't put some groups up first. I guess I just need to know how precise I am.
Old June 30, 2013, 08:24 AM   #10
Hunter Customs

Yes, that's why I chose action pistol events like pin matches and steel matches to compete in over bullseye matches.

The only time I shoot paper be it handgun or rifle is to test new loads and the accuracy potential of the gun itself.

Out in Western Colorado there was a rifle match put on by the local volunteer fire department where they shot at dynamite place on a mountain at various unknown yardages
I always thought that would be a hoot to shoot but I never did make it out there.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old June 30, 2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Ted D

Ya paper is boring.Here in Dayton,Oh. theres no place to shoot the fun stuff.I don't have access to private land.
Old June 30, 2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Jim Watson

I shoot at paper targets supplied by IDPA and NRA.
The guy with the timer and scorecard prevents boredom.
Well, I do shoot at steel, too, but they are still regulation targets and score is kept.

I remember when breaking and blowing up stuff was getting dull. If I had not been introduced to competitive shooting with those boring old paper targets, I would probably be playing golf by now.
Old June 30, 2013, 01:16 PM   #13
UtopiaTexasG19

I just change the face printed on the targets and it gets interesting all over again. In all honesty I shoot for extreme accuracy so dumping mags or lots of rounds at one time does nothing for me. Now, hitting a gallon jug at 500 yards gets me excited.
Old June 30, 2013, 02:20 PM   #14
Uncle Buck

We do paper and steel targets and I just got three bowling pins.

I used to shoot other stuff, bottles, glass and things like that but I got tired of being the one to have to clean up after everyone else left. That is another reason I do not go to public ranges, because of the mess people leave behind.

I remember one guy saying he put all his "smashable/breakable" targets on a tarp and then just rolls it up and dumps the stuff. I might try that sometime in the future.
Old June 30, 2013, 02:29 PM   #15
JerryM

No.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 30, 2013, 04:02 PM   #16
dakota.potts

I like it because I can see exactly where my bullets are going. I'm still in the new stages of learning though. I did have some fun shooting some sporting clays that were laying on the backstop of the range at 50 yards.
Old June 30, 2013, 04:29 PM   #17
jimbob86

Boring?

No. But it is not as fun as shooting targets that explode (milk jugs full of water with a high powered rifle are my favorite) or fall over (steel plates and bowling pins).
Old June 30, 2013, 04:41 PM   #18
huntinaz

I shoot paper with rifles mostly just for load workup and zeroing. Then I move to fun targets.

Revolvers, I don't really care to shoot at paper.

I shoot more paper than anything with semi-auto handguns though.
Old June 30, 2013, 06:26 PM   #19
thallub

Yep, i sometimes tire of shooting at paper. To make the boredom go away i go out and shoot some wild hogs.
Old June 30, 2013, 06:33 PM   #20
ChasingWhitetail91

I like frozen or thawed jugs of water when I shoot. I put food coloring in them sometimes but its as fun without it. A couple friends have brought their kids out with balloons full of liquid or confetti and said they had a blast.
Old June 30, 2013, 07:05 PM   #21
MattShlock

No. I actually keep score and challenge myself to improve if not actually "beat" others...
Old June 30, 2013, 07:38 PM   #22
kutz

I shoot BE, love the challenge, but I bought some falling plates (6) and a duleing tree 3/3 just for fun. Paper plates are fun too.
Old June 30, 2013, 08:04 PM   #23
Alabama Shooter

We just hosted a shooting party last week. All the non paper targets were bought at Dollar general for under $20 total. After confirming zero on paper the targets included:

- Three bags of plastic pirates (think army man size). The red ones were enemy the black ones were friendly.
- Several larger dinosaurs about 6" high
- Couple of decks of cards for the poker games
- Big bag of balloons inflated
- Large bag of lollipops
- Several space ships
- Sponge Bob

While most of the shooters were under 16 a couple of the older folk got into the act. A good time was had by all.
Old June 30, 2013, 10:09 PM   #24
Dashunde

Shooting a poker game? How does this work?
Attached Images
File Type: gif shrug.gif (4.4 KB, 173 views)
Old July 1, 2013, 08:09 AM   #25
Rifleman1776

It is the competition and challenge that is fun.
Just blasting a lot of ammo at stuff that blows up might be fun also but it isn't as challenging and proves nothing about your shooting skills.
That said, I always enjoy matches using novelty targets.