The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 2, 2013, 09:47 PM   #76
kilimanjaro

Did you pick him up to do him a favor or to get money for gas that you already had?

Don't be offended, but that's just a step above the Squeegee Man, perform an uninvited favor in expectation of payment.

You're lucky he just got out of the car, though, he clearly overreacted.
Old June 3, 2013, 06:34 AM   #77
Garycw

I think I was "approached"... What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post
Did you pick him up to do him a favor or to get money for gas that you already had?

Don't be offended, but that's just a step above the Squeegee Man, perform an uninvited favor in expectation of payment.

You're lucky he just got out of the car, though, he clearly overreacted.
We picked him up to do him a favor. We were almost out of gas and would have given him a ride as long as it was on our way. And the favor was invited by him hitch hiking. The way your making it sound is the way I guess he saw it. I don't think this guy was mentally stable though.You would have had to been there. We did nothing wrong or outta line.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:51 PM   #78
kilimanjaro

OK, I stand corrected. Your earlier comment about being broke led me there, I guess, but my inference, not yours.

I learned not to pick up hitchhikers the same way you did. Unless it's clearly a family or distressed person with car trouble in the boondocks, they can walk.
Old June 4, 2013, 10:07 AM   #79
deepcreek

When I was younger I went on a few hitchhiking adventures so I used to always pick up hitchhikers. I met some nice people heard some great stories. Then I picked up like 8 bad ones in a row.. skizo street trash, winos, shady sketch heads So I don't do it anymore, unless someone is broke down or maybe the occasional traveler from Europe.
You are very vulnerable when you let someone in your car, it is a risk.

I have also had a few people get really scared when a car load of young guys would pick them up. One guy we let in the passenger seat and a little ways down the rural road the guy in back emptied his gun into a road sign, The guy starts screaming... AAAHHHaahhhh.. then he says “I thought you guys were shooting me” he was still trembling when we let him out.
Old June 4, 2013, 01:36 PM   #80
TailGator

Quote:
One guy we let in the passenger seat and a little ways down the rural road the guy in back emptied his gun into a road sign, The guy starts screaming... AAAHHHaahhhh.. then he says “I thought you guys were shooting me” he was still trembling when we let him out.
That's a great way to demonstrate and promote responsible gun ownership.
Old June 4, 2013, 02:27 PM   #81
Frank Ettin
Staff

So it looks like we've exhausted this topic.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread