The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 21, 2013, 08:56 PM   #1
valleyforge.1777

For S&W 19-4, which size rear sight do I need if I want to change to white outline???

I have a S&W Model 19-4 4 inch barrel that I never shoot. The rear sight is all black, and the front sight is all black, and, well, the dang targets are all black (at least in the center)... I just can't see these sights well enough to shoot the gun.

I'd like to get a white-outline rear sight for this nice Model 19-4.
The rear sight I have on there now has a .106 inch deep rear sight notch. I have seen on the S&W website, and MidwayUSA's website that they sell .146 inch white outline rear sights. How do I know if I need the .106 or the .146 inch sights? If I can use the .146 sights, I'd prefer that (more space in the notch area will make it easier for me to see the front sight through the notch, but if the accuracy is going to be messed up by going with .146, I don't want to do it. How can I know which rear sights to get???

thanks
Old April 22, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The number listed is not the notch width, it's the sight blade height.
The .146 is the correct blade for a 4 inch revolver.
I don't think S&W makes blades with different width notches.

I think both Midway and Brownell's have short videos showing how to change the S&W sight blade.
This involves BREAKING the windage screw. It's designed to shear in half.
Make sure you have the correct gunsmith's screwdriver bit and the other tools needed.
You can get by with a pair of small tweezers, a ROUNDED OFF center punch and a Brownell's Magna-Tip driver bit number .210-3.
Old April 22, 2013, 08:43 PM   #3
valleyforge.1777

Thanks!
You also answered my next question, which is "can I do this myself or do I need a gunsmith?" I am concluding from your answer that I will save myself a lot of aggravation and have a gunsmith do this for me.

thanks
Old April 22, 2013, 09:21 PM   #4
lee n. field

If you're wanting contrast, you might first try a bit of bright nail polish on the front sight.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 23, 2013, 03:44 PM   #5
oldgunsmith

Get someone who is familiar with the operation to do it. There's also a nearly microscopic spring and plunger that has to come out of the old screw head and go in the new one. Easy to lose if you don't know when and where to look for it.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:46 PM   #6
jglsprings

If I can do it, anyone can do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr0yb6VRDIg

Commas save lives...