The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 19, 2012, 08:44 PM   #1
PT-92

Do You Have a "Surpassed-Expectations 2012 Gun?"

I just got back from the range tonight and I got to thinking of the handful of guns I bought this year, which one has really "surprised" me...? I have to say, it's actually the least-expensive little gem that I picked up NIB back in February, namely, my GSG 1911-22. Like many shooters practicing our sport today, I have been looking to cut-back on overall firearms costs/expenses--hence the 1911 in .22lr. To be sure, for $319 ($339 total with FFL) and from researching countless reviews (almost everyone of them favorable) I was simply expecting a decent gun and would have been happy with that accordingly. But to make a long story short, it shoots everything from cheap bulk ammo (which I never expected as even some of my more expensive .22lr guns are more finicky), rarely has a jam of any sort and perhaps most importantly for me is far more durable of a gun than I expected.

So the GSG 1911-22 is my "sleeper, outperformer, cinderella (insert preferred adjective here ) gun of 2012, at least so far as Santa may have something in his bag for me--too soon to tell...

-Cheers
Old October 19, 2012, 09:33 PM   #2
CharlieSW

Best Surprise

I injured the elbow of my shooting arm, and had to have surgery on my bicep tendon, so for a while I was unable to rack a semi-auto handgun. I started looking around for a snubbie revolver to carry off-side, but I thought that it would definitely be a compromise, because I have not shot Airweights or other similar pistols very well.

What I stumbled on was a Taurus .38 Special Poly Protector at the LGS/Pawn. Originally, I was attracted by the fiber optic front sight, but the light weight of the polymer frame and comfortable (for me, at least) grips were also appealing.

"Polly" has turned out to be a great handgun -- the best sights I have ever seen on a snubbie, decent trigger, surprisingly accurate and very soft shooting. Holster selection is still limited, but I invested in a custom leather IWB rig from one of the local guys, and I alternate it with a nylon pocket holster depending on clothing. Soon after I bought mine, the prices went DOWN, but even that did not bother me. I only expected the Protector Poly to be a temporary solution, but it has far exceeded my expectations, and become one of my favorite carry pieces.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Caracal C & F. I like them more and more every time I bring one to the range.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:58 PM   #4
BarryLee

Back mid-summer I decided to get a small poly 9mm that would be easy to conceal and lightweight. Initially I looked at the PPS, SIG 290, S&W Shield and a couple of more. However, the one that seemed the best fit was the GLOCK G26. Now, I’m not really a GLOCK lover or hater and already own a G20 10MM, but the G26 was just not initially very high on my list. So, with a little apprehension I went ahead and took a chance.

I must admit the part of me that loves my SIGs and H&Ks hates to admit it, but the little guy can really get the job done. I have really been impressed with how reliable, accurate and genuinely fun to shoot the G26 is.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 19, 2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Jay24bal

Taurus PT-92

Picked up a stainless PT-92 back in the spring as the price was too good to pass up. It is my first Taurus. We are all aware of the reputation Taurus has with some people not liking them all that much, but I always wanted to find out for myself. I know they purchased the factory, molds, etc from Berreta and I was expecting a decent gun, what I got was the easiest to shoot, most accurate 9mm I own. I love it, the only problem is that the wife loves it so much it is hard for me to get time with it at the range because she shoots it so much.

Very pleasantly surprised and it surpassed all my expectations.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old October 19, 2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Sarge

Yes. A WASR 10/63 of all things.
Old October 20, 2012, 12:47 AM   #7
CWKahrFan

Ruger SR40c

My Ruger SR40c has definitely surpassed my expectations (especially since I upgraded a few components via Galloway Precision). I'm carrying it way more than I thought I would (in its 9+1 configuration). It fits my hand perfectly and I find the .40 recoil factor very well-tamed by its beefy (Rugerian) slide.

Its levers are small and unobtrusive so it holsters and conceals easily considering its reassuring payload. I really like its looks and it's ability to transform into 15+1 combat mode if need be... A formidable and versatile handgun with a pleasing pricetag.
Old October 20, 2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Sparks1957

My CZ P-01 has exceeded all my (high) expectations for it, and has taken its place as the number one pistol in my small collection, bumping my Sig P229 out of that position.

In terms of ergonomics, accuracy, and reliability, it is a gem.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:08 AM   #9
highpower3006

For me it was the Rock Island .45 I bought three months ago. Digests everything I put through it and is every bit as accurate as my Colt, at half the price.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:35 AM   #10
khegglie

Yes, Ruger LCR in .357.
Old October 20, 2012, 01:25 PM   #11
osbornk

I have two

I had very low expectations based on price and the bashing I read from the "experts" in various forums.

I bought a slightly used Hi-Point C9 for $125.00. Despite what the "experts" said, it is accurate, reliable and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

Since the "experts" were wrong on the C9, I decided to spend $150.00 and buy a new Phoenix HP-22. It has also been accurate , reliable and goes bang whenever I pull the trigger.

I know you "experts" will look down your noses at me and my choices. I'm not out to impress anyone but anytime I can buy a product that is affordable and does what I need it to do, I'm happy. I'm 65 years old and both pistols will outlive me, expecially with the lifetime warranty they both have.

I also bought a 2011 Kia Optima based on the same logic. It has more equipment, is more economical, has the best warranty and was cheaper than anything else on the market. I couldn't buy another new car for under $25,000 with leather heated, cooled and memory seats, panoramic sunroof, heated steering wheel, 200 HP engine that gets 35 MPG easily that holds 5 adults.

I can afford to buy more expensive guns and cars but I find no need to do so and I might want to upgrade my 2 BMW motorcycles or ATV and I want to save my money for that.
Old October 20, 2012, 01:28 PM   #12
Amsdorf

I'd have to say that my Ruger SR22 takes the prize in exceeding expectations. What a great plinker it is!

Great stuff.

Here's a vid I made on it: LINK TO VIDEO.
Old October 20, 2012, 03:37 PM   #13
RamItOne

Bought an M&P one day, only because my buddy was buying a gun that day. Didn't do any research on it, been very pleased with it.
Old October 20, 2012, 03:43 PM   #14
Zhillsauditor

Walther PPQ. I've been looking for a polymer gun I could live with, and had discarded every one I tried for crummy trigger and/or lousy ergos for me. I had heard of the PPQ's trigger but it really is better appreciated when firing than dry firing. And the ergos fit me very well, too. Not only has it made me like a striker fired polymer pistol for the first time, it may be my favorite of all my automatics.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:04 PM   #15
PT-92

osbornk,

Sounds like a wise-man shopping to me . I own all three as well (except I have a Sportage for my Kia). I too have had excellent performance from my C9 and HP22 (might add the Kia also).

I just evaluate things on price/quality ratio and go from there. I own lots of guns and needless to say the two aforementioned are the "least-expensive" ones but they are a hoot to plink around with and that's precisely why I bought them. I don't use either for SD but that's only because I have other guns I have long owned that have been devoted for that role for some time now.

I see some very interesting posts in the thread above of a few guns I even expected to see (and still have a few of them on my 2013 shopping list).

-Cheers

Last edited by PT-92; October 20, 2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: sp
Old October 20, 2012, 06:22 PM   #16
insomni

Brand new M&P40 blew me away.

I was pretty bummed at the 500 round "hot deal" 1200fps 155gr .40 ammo I picked up a month or so ago for CHEEEAP. My FNP HATED them. My shotgroup was horrific. I'd say there were a bunch of fliers with these rounds, but that implies that there was a centralized group somewhere.

So when I headed to the range to test out my brand new M&P40, I brought some along, mainly because I figured I'd just have the brass reloaded. After I tried out some 165 &180gr rounds with great success, I loaded up some of the 155gr fireballs. My M&P loved them! The guy next to me dubbed them the ".40 Magnum" and thought I'd switched to my rifle. 150rounds later, I had several 30round fist-palm sized clusters from 10 and 15m. REaLLY impressed by the M&P's performance, though I think I'm gonna skip these rounds once they're done, and go with something around 1000fps, since the hot ones jack the slide back a bit hard, and don't allow for as quick follow up shot as the 1000-1100fps loads do. As far as the pistol goes: I'd tested it in 9mm a while back, and liked it. Bought it in .40, and its phenomenal ergonomics, really great recoil profile, good sights won out. I left the best range trip I've had in months beaming. And that is how on its first range trip, my M&P40 became my favorite pistol.

Well played Smith&Wesson

Last edited by insomni; October 20, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:27 PM   #17
Rembrandt

Pretty much a tie between the Browning 1911-22 and the Boberg XR9-S....both exceeded expectations in performance, fit, and finish.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:58 PM   #18
Sixer

I made a couple handgun purchases this year... the one that probably surpassed my expectations was the Ruger SR-22.

It was my first 22lr semi-auto, and I had serious doubts about how it would feed various types of ammo... I honestly expected a FTF at least once per mag. I've put about 300rds through it and had exactly 2 FTF's... both of which I attribute to the low end ammo. With CCI's it has been flawless. I really like that little gun!

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old October 20, 2012, 07:26 PM   #19
Hawg

Quote:
For me it was the Rock Island .45 I bought three months ago. Digests everything I put through it and is every bit as accurate as my Colt, at half the price.
+1
Old October 21, 2012, 12:04 PM   #20
MTSCMike

Mine was the surprise of the DECADE! My Father-in-law wanted to give my wife a pistol for her birthday. He's a little cheap sometimes so I didn't expect much and when she came in with a Bersa Thunder 380 I had BIG doubts.

I told her she couldn't consider carrying it until we had given it a work-out at the range and I fully expected problems. It ate everything! It functioned perfectly, felt good in my hand and was as accurate as most defensive pistols I've ever carried...actually better than some. I'm a big fan.
Old October 22, 2012, 11:57 AM   #21
loose_holster_dan

my walther ppq was mine. i'd purchased the pps in late 2011, and loved it quite a bit. i expected the ppq to be a good shooter, but it far surpassed what i had expected out of a striker fire trigger. coupled with the phenomenal ergonomics, it became one of my favorite range guns (saying something since last year also saw the acquisition of a colt gold cup and custom built 1911).

on a whim, i bought a iwb kydex holster from some random guy on the internet. can't even remember who. i didn't really expect to carry it comfortably or even completely concealed without a jacket. much to my surprise, i was able to comfortably carry it with anything more substantial than tshirt (tshirt only causes problems when i bend at the waist, since i'm very tall). it's either in my bedside table or on my waist at all times except when i'm ushering at church (with that many eyes on me, i'm more comfortable hiding the pps).

failed-expectations 2012 gun for me was the sig sp2022. i got it the same week i got the ppq and bought the holster from the same guy at the same time i bought the ppq holster. took them to the range for the first time together. after handling both quite a bit at home prior to taking a range trip, i was very excited about the sig. having loved both of my p226's, i was excited for a sig with a slimmer profile that had carry potential. then i shot it. the trigger break position is way too close to the grip. with my big hands, it is very uncomfortable to have a break position that close. i know you can swap out for a trigger that is supposed to fix this, and i even bought it. i haven't had the chance to install it. i have a bad feeling that it is going to be anything but drop-in.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."

Last edited by loose_holster_dan; October 22, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old October 22, 2012, 01:03 PM   #22
chris in va

Definitely my P01.

I tried one back in 2003 and found the metal baseplate dug into my little finger, so I purchased a 75bd instead. A friend let me try his new model and I was shocked how well it fit.

Having owned several CZ's I knew of a couple issues, so it got the 15# hammer spring, fiber sight and mecGar mags. Perfect.
Old October 22, 2012, 03:28 PM   #23
geetarman

The two Dan Wessons I bought.

I knew they would be good but I did not realize how good.

Now that I have had the chance to really shoot them, I am even more impressed.

I am also very pleased with the Sig TacPac 1911.

No failures with that gun at all.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 22, 2012, 04:14 PM   #24
MonsterB

Yes, I have. This year, around February, I picked up a Gen4 Glock23, mostly because I love the 2 Glock 26's I have had, and the RTF Gen3 Glock 23 I also had. I like guns in general, and own 6 handguns and two rifles, from Sig, Smith and W, Ruger, Glock, Springfield, and the awesome Mossin Nagant. I am trying to have a gun in all of the major calibers, and since I like Glock, and needed a 40, I got the Gen4 23 after it seemed like they not had many Gen 4 problems with them. Anyways, long story short, the 23 has become my favorite gun, by far, of any gun I have owned. Its amazing, and I think its the best money I have ever spent on a gun related item. Just yesterday I brought out some of my guns, along with my shooting bud who brought several of his, and we spent the day shooting them all. Everything from 22 to 44 magnum. I left the session thinking once again how incredible the 23 is. After shooting 357 and 44 magnum, the recoil feels like a 22. Once again, as always, perfect reliability (from the Glock). Its at about 1500 rounds now with zero issues. This gun was supposed to be something to keep in the safe, shoot once in a while, and to alow me to have a 40 cal handgun. Now I couldnt see myself parting with it ever, and if I needed to grab one gun to save my life, there would be no doubt I would grab the 23.
Old October 22, 2012, 07:41 PM   #25
larryh1108

CZ 75B PCR. Best kept secret in the compact, light weight 9mm market. Amazing little pistol with minimum recoil and laser accuracy.