The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2012, 03:12 AM   #1
hoho_leung

Ammo selection

Hi guys,

I am gonna have a Sig Sauer P229 9mm very soon. I am now researching what ammo I should get. I have absolutely 0 experience on how to pick ammo. I shoot just for fun, and I prefer cheaper. Any recommendation?
Old September 14, 2012, 05:04 AM   #2
dondulah

Ranger T, Speer gold dot, federal hst, any in 124 or 147.
Old September 14, 2012, 05:22 AM   #3
Sparks1957

It sounds like you are looking for cheaper ammo to practice with... reliable brands include Winchester white box, Remington UMC, PMC, Federal's American Eagle line...
Old September 14, 2012, 05:44 AM   #4
thedudeabides

Don't get the smaller grain 115 ammo until your gun is broken in, it may not be able to properly cycle the slide at first.
Old September 14, 2012, 05:55 AM   #5
TacticalDefense1911

For practice or otherwise? Practice ammo can be just about anything from a well known commercial manufacturer. I'd stay away from cheap steel cased Russian ammo, Ultramax remanufactured ammo and gun show reloads.

If you are asking about self defense ammo here is a good list to choose from. http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887
Old September 14, 2012, 09:06 PM   #6
KyJim

For practice ammo, I'll shoot whatever brass encased ammo is cheapest. Federal Champion, Winchester White Box, and Remington Green Box are the most common around here.

The link TactDef gave you is a good one. The list is not all encompassing but will give you a number of choices. My personal first preference is Speer 124 gr. in either standard or +P but there are many choices.
Old September 14, 2012, 10:55 PM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

When you get your new pistol, clean and lubricate it. I use Brian Enos Slide Glide Lite grease for the rails. Lock the slide to the rear for 24 hours up to 72 hours. That will probably be enough to let you shoot just about anything you find at Wal-mart. If you are only planning to shoot a box of two between cleanings then a good gun oil for the rails will work. Even Mobil 1 will work for the rails. I tend to shoot more than that each range trip and the Slide Glide Lite keeps thing lubricated easily. I have shot a lot of Winchester White Box and Federal Champion ammo in mine. I have also put a good number of reloads (mine) through it as well. There is one type of Monarch ammo that has given me plenty of problems in my 9 mm pistols. For just punching paper any type of Full Metal Jacket ammo from one of the major manufactures will work. For Self Defense/Home Defense, most people prefer hollow point ammo. No matter what ammo you use for SD/HD make certain it works in your pistol before you trust your life to it.

To shoot cheaper the only way is to start reloading. If you are considering reloading in the future, start saving your brass now. It will come in handy later on.
Old September 14, 2012, 11:02 PM   #8
rickmelear

I have 3 Sigs and I shoot lots of Brown Bear through all of them. Don't mind paying a premium for SD ammo but for range ammo I have shot probably 20,000 rounds of steel cased ammo over the years with no problems.