The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Closed Thread

Old April 30, 1999, 09:05 PM   #1
El Chimango Pete

Its a light and slender little gun.
A Birmingham Small Arms (BSA) .410 bolt action shotgun: The bolt cocks on closing, has an external guide that unclips to allow removal for cleaning. A toggle safety (down = fire) alongside the rear of the bolt (that can also be used for cocking the gun if closed uncocked). Barrel is inlet to a single piece walnut stock - short pull, would seem designed for a youngster. Full choke - shoots almost like a rifle with 2 1/2" shells (which it takes easily- had said 3": won't chamber)). Markings are right hand side on barrel: Serial number 5811 repeated 5811 just forward of the breech then 2½" "NP" under crown; "NITRO PROOF" 7/16. Over that, same side: 410 (another proof mark, seems to involve a crown and some script under) then a rhombus ("LC"? 410 inside) then "CHOKE). Above breech the three stacked muskets, then "Made By" (new line) "The Birmingham Small Arms Co. Ltd. (new line) England (new line) CARTRIDGE 410 SHOT.
The gun has great sentimental value for me: My dad was an RAF vet, returned to Argentina after WW2. The little gun hung on the wall of every bedroom I had as a child. Then when about eight, I was allowed to handle it, unloaded of course, as a special privilege. Also, during the shooting season, I could walk behind my dad and his buddies (very British, in tweed suits and old school - or squadron - ties) as they walked the fields line abreast with their Purdeys, Wesley Richards and Greeners, behind the dogs - taking the partridge as they were flushed ("Your bird old chap!" and all that. We kids would have to pluck the warm birds as the retrievers brought them to us. At about ten I was allowed to carry the 410 - no shells, just go through all the proper procedures, opening the breech to cross fences, pass the gun to someone on the other side... for a two seasons. Then, finally (I was 12) and only after an earnest conference among Dad and his cronies, was I allowed to actually load and "join the line". After my first bird I was treated ever after as one of them (except for the "little noggin" from the silver flasks as the sun set and shooting was over - I wouldn't graduate to that for five more years). Now they are all gone, I've accumulated a considerable arsenal of long guns and short, have fired everything from Ingram Mac's and Franchi SPAS - but this 410 still keeps the privileged spot in my cabinet.
I would much appreciate more information on it: When and why it was made (searches from different sources have drawn a blank)

Peter Knight (aka 'El Chimango Pete', scourge of the Calamuchita Valley, in Cordoba Argentina)

[This message has been edited by Elchimango (edited May 01, 1999).]
Old May 2, 1999, 06:33 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I cannot find anything in a BSA bolt action shotgun mfg's by BSA.. I find numerous rifles by that Mfg but no bolt action shotgun.\\

HJN
Old June 11, 2009, 02:55 PM   #3
julianhastings

Just wondering if you found out much more about your BSA 410? I also have one - a little younger I believe judging by the serial number. Gather they were produced between 1911 and 1938. Great little 'garden' gun.
Old June 14, 2011, 07:01 AM   #4
gduk

BSA Bolt action!

Hi, yes info on this amazing little gun are hard to find! I have a small sales brochure on it with all the info, really cool little booklet, I could fax it to you or if you send me your address I can stick a copy in the post to you, it would be a pleasure to help you out, lovely little gun, my brother and I both have one! Many thanks, Grant.
Old June 14, 2011, 07:56 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

For pete's sake.

This thread is over a decade old, and the OP hasn't visited here in over 3 years.

You should be getting a warning when you try to post to an old thread.

You really need to think about whether a response to a thread that's years old is better than asking as question in a new thread. Most often the new thread is far more desirable.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread