The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 21, 2011, 10:41 PM   #1
jaughtman

3" chamber add to value of a Superposed?

I am still mulling over an offer to buy a "project" Superposed (wood needs refinishing but otherwise tight) to work on but trying to decide if I am coming out ahead by putting the $200 in it to refinish the wood. Does the fact it has 3" chambers add to the value?

J
Old January 24, 2011, 08:35 PM   #2
publius

I'm not sure how much but yes it adds some value.
Old January 25, 2011, 12:40 PM   #3
BigJimP

Not really ....

The 3" chamber will allow you to shoot "magnum" loads - but the only time you'd need to do that is for waterfowl ....and not to many shooters will take an old Browning out waterfowling.

The gun has a "field stock" on it / angled comb, etc ...so shooters will use it for upland birds grouse, phesant, quail, etc ...and whether its chambered for 2 3/4" or 3" isn't going to matter to anyone. But in general, I think all of their guns with "field stocks" are commonly chambered in 3" - same as the "field stock" models of the Citori today - like the Citori Lightning series.

Is the gun worth the money / and your time - yes, probably. Is it worth more than the equivalent Citori Lightning series - maybe, maybe not. My buddy OneOunce likes the Belgium made Brownings a lot more than I do ...but in most areas the Superposed will net a few hundred dollars more than the equivalent Citori. But the value is the feel and balance of the "Superposed" vs the Citori ---not whether it has 2 3/4" or 3" chambers.

Your market for a superposed or a Citori ....is not really the "synthetic stock crowd" ...where, when it comes to "hunting guns" - they all seem to think they have to have a 12ga chambered in 3 1/2" ... when a 3" chambered gun will do most anything they want to do. But the Superposed - you're looking at - isn't really a sought after Skeet or Trap gun either. Today the trend on "target guns" - is parallel adjustable combs and 30" barrels for a general purpose gun / and 32" for a Trap gun ....

But if you buy it / clean it up a little ...I doubt you'll have much trouble getting your money out of it ...selling it primarily as an Upland hunting gun. But some guys will shoot it for Skeet, Sporting Clays as well...
Old January 25, 2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Mike Armstrong

I think you need to research what you actually have a lot more before you do anything to it. SOME Superposeds are desirable to collectors of Superposeds, and you should find out if yours is one of them before you mess with it. I'm not a Browning guy, but if you look around the Internet, you will almost certainly find a website that either specializes in Supers, or specializes in collecting Browning shotguns. Find it, tell them EXACTLY what you have--model numbers, all markings aprox serial number, condition of wood and metal, etc. And let them tell you if it is a gun worth preserving as original as possible, or a gun you should just use as a project/shooter. If you can't find a dedicated Browning website, ask questions on the Double Shotgun forum of www.doublegunshop.com/BBS Somebody on there can direct you to a Super collector or association.

When Browning first came out with the 12 guage 3" chambers in Supers, I think those guns were specially marked as Magnums (I believe this happened in the 1950s but it might have been the early '60s). They might well have some interest to a Super collector. They would have 30" barrels choked full in both barrels, or possible improved modified and full.

Anyway, ANY Superposed is worth examination and appraisal BEFORE the sandpaper comes out, IMO.
Old January 25, 2011, 07:09 PM   #5
BigJimP

You're probably right in a general sense Mike,

but the OP posted a message a couple of days ago / with photos of the gun he is considering acquiring/or that he bought... and its nothing too exotic / its a "field grade stocked" Browning superposed with fixed choke barrels that someone had fit for Briley choke tubes.

His original post is about 18 posts below ...."pics of his new superposed"...
Old January 26, 2011, 03:57 PM   #6
dgludwig

If the Superposed was made between 1966 and 1971 or thereabouts, the possibility of it having a "salt wood" stock rears its ugly head. It's something to look out for.
Old January 26, 2011, 04:44 PM   #7
BigJimP

His original post with photos - said 1958 , so I think he's ok as far as the salt wood issue goes...
Old January 26, 2011, 06:36 PM   #8
UniversalFrost

having the gun fitted for briley tubes is a big plus.... hopefully the gun comes with extra tubes, because brileys are not cheap....

personally, i would not mess with the stock and would instead send off the stock to get professionally refinished. during that time I would also send off the metal to get reblued as well.... otherwise , just leave the gun in its current form and take it hunting.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 26, 2011, 09:46 PM   #9
jaughtman

Thanks for all the replys...

But like several posters pointed out, I have now bought the gun and posted pics so this thread can die, I guess....fun hearing about the options of refinishing/not refinishing - looks like we are split about 50/50.

J