The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 20, 2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Elvishead

3 rounds left of Gold Dot Hp, and 2+ FMJs in J-frame snub

How would you arrange them? I arranged mine 2 GD, 1 FMJ, 1GD, then last a FMJ. And I'll explain why.

First, this is not a real serious problem as far as I'm concerned, having three GDHP 135g +P and plenty of FMJ ammo, I feel fine with that, at least until I get home to get more GDs.

I was at the range Monday shooting up my GDHP's and spent the whole box (50) without thinking of saving any for my carry gun, a S&W Airweight .38 +P snubby. Well, I knew I had plenty of 130g FMJ's, so I went digging through my range bag and found three GDHP short barrel +Ps in a baggy with other misc. ammo.

So I load 2 GD for the first two shot's and then load a FMJ figuring if the GDs weren't doing the stopping, maybe I need a little more penetration? Then if that's not working to stop that dog or BG, got another GD ready to go. Well, now I'm out of GDs so it's a FMJ again. Just my way of thinking Please, share what you would do, and try not to serious or overly analytical. I didn't feel my life was in danger.
Other than that, I'd go 3 GDs first.

PS, I could have loaded my Ruger SP101 with the same load's, or Rem .357 SJHP (Rated at 1400fps), but I was in a highly populated area just off the strip of Vegas.
Old February 20, 2010, 07:41 AM   #2
SaberOne

Based on the ‘available ammo’, I would load 3-GD followed by 3-FMJ. For me personally, this would provide a more controlled and consistent point of aim from an Airweight snub.

Last edited by SaberOne; February 20, 2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old February 20, 2010, 08:09 AM   #3
mavracer

First off I wouldn't be in that situation I always put enough carry ammo on the side before shooting.
If I did find myself in that situation I'd prolly put the three GD's first.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old February 20, 2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Daryl

I'd just load three and three, and not worry too much about it.

The chances of having to actually use the gun on the way home are slim, firing it in SD are slimmer, and getting into a situation where you'll have to shoot through a baracade are even more slim.

So I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Daryl
Old February 20, 2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Webleymkv

I'd alternate 1 GD, 1 FMJ, 1GD, 1FMJ, 1 GD.
Old February 20, 2010, 08:59 AM   #6
45Gunner

As was mentioned in another post, if I shoot my EDC gun at the range, I remove the magazine with JHP ammo and use another with range ammo. I never shoot up my SD ammo, leaving at least one full magazine of JHP for the ride home.

Even when I bring my .357 Magnum to the range, I remove the JHP rounds and feed it range ammo, reloading the JHP for the ride home.

If you are going to mix ammo, you may want to consider how you shoot for defensive. Are you shooting one round and waiting for results or are you double or triple tapping? I would think you would want to do the maximum damage with the first couple of rounds so you don't have to expend the rest of your ammo.
NRA Life Member
Old February 20, 2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Samtu_Ray

If this was a real concern to anyone, I'd have suggested that they simply sell their firearm to someone at the range before heading home.

geesch...
Old February 20, 2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Elvishead

First, I didn't realize I had "6 shot's" in my S&W Airweight.

Second, I was not overly concerned.

Third, I was just making a basic conversation, and I was just trying seeing what people would do in this situation.

Fourth, it was no big deal..

Fifth, I was just wondering how you would load your "5 shot revolver" (not 6) with 3 GDHPs, and 2 FMJs in what order?

Sixth, if you read my OP, you can tell I didn't take this as a life and death decision.

Seventh, I'm getting redundant because I had 8 other guns I could carry at the time, but this is my main carry gun.

Quote:
Webleymkv

I'd alternate 1 GD, 1 FMJ, 1GD, 1FMJ, 1 GD.
That would work!
Old February 21, 2010, 10:59 AM   #9
OIF2

Sounds like you're getting spun up over a non-issue. Load your revolver with the load you carry and stop worrying about bizzare situations. If you actually GET into a shooting as a non-LEO it will be unusual enough. Ball ammo is not what you want in a 2" revolver. You'll actually get better penetration from the GoldDot. The LAPD did extensive tests before adoption and found the round performed superbly in any conceivable situation. It is probably the best short-barrel .38 round in production. And why are you practicing with the GoldDot? You're beating up your revolver, accellerating wear and working on a good flinch. Shoot wadcutters for practice and finish up with a cylinder full of duty ammo. That's enough. Airweights are made to be carried much and shot little. Practice your marksmanship with a full-size revolver. Technique carries over to the little one.
Bob

Old February 21, 2010, 12:11 PM   #10
30-30remchester

I always alternate hp-fmj-hp-fmj ect. I live in mountain lion and bear country. When I step outside I could encounter either a soft target (200 lb or less) or a hard target (200 ld or more). With mine loaded the way I do I know I have the most appropriate load every other shot. Most animal encounters happen so fast you dont have time to aim. The worst thing you can have is a soft point that expands and doesnt penatrate. If I could only have one type it would be a fmj flat point. Then if a human is the aggressor, where I live in the winter they are very heavily dress so again penatration is the key.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:14 PM   #11
SaberOne

Comments from OIF2 are clear and definitive enough for me. In fact, I’ve now been reassured that my recent decision to go with a 640 for carry and a 686 2.5” for the range, was a pretty good idea.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:56 PM   #12
OIF2

Interesting, "30-30 Remchester", but I hadn't considered bear and mountain lions on Sunset Blvd (though there were a couple seen in Granada Hills in the Valley). I can't imagine keeping a 2" .38 for bear and cats, anyway, no matter WHAT it's loaded with. I was just commenting on a snubbie carried for defense against PEOPLE. My point was about proper preparation and meaningful practice. Shooting boxes of Plus P in an Airweight Smith at the range and alternating ball and hollowpoints in a 2" revolver for defense is not what I would recommend. Fun thread.
Bob
Old February 21, 2010, 02:40 PM   #13
Elvishead

I have way more Gold Dots .38s than target .38s, and it's actually, beleave it or not, cheaper to shoot Gold Dots for me. I stocked up about 2 or so years ago with three case (1000s).

Anyway, I was more or less just making conversation, not trying to get advise, but thanks.

PS: I shot most of them in my S&W 327 M&P R8.
Old February 21, 2010, 03:27 PM   #14
OIF2

Hey, as the Brothers in the Southend of LA used to say, "it's all good". Everyone here brings something new to the table; different philosophies and techniques are what this is all about. I'm here because I like guns and shooters. A great thread, good guys who like pulling a trigger and an exchange of ideas (sometimes heated, even) make a boring Sunday afternoon interesting. I wouldn't DARE give advice, just opinions!
Bob
Old February 21, 2010, 05:56 PM   #15
longranger

Quote:
Ball ammo is not what you want in a 2" revolver
Ball ammo to me is military ammo, like 5.56,308 Win,30-06 used ball ammo which refers to the powder used i.e, Win 748,BLC2 and the like.

Your reference to ball ammo is what ? I have not heard of what you speak with regards to handguns, can you enlighten ? is it projectile or powder ?
I want to be informed and not make a critical mistake.

Thanks
Randy
Old February 21, 2010, 06:04 PM   #16
Duke City Six

I think "ball ammo" is common jargon for FMJ.
Old February 21, 2010, 06:10 PM   #17
longranger

Thanks DC6

That would make sense, had never heard FMJ's reffered to as "ball ammo" that means something different to rifle shooters.
Old February 21, 2010, 08:34 PM   #18
Samtu_Ray

"Ball" ammunition is a common term in the military...differentiates it from tracer, ap, etc.
Old February 24, 2010, 02:47 AM   #19
Elvishead

45Gunner

As was mentioned in another post, if I shoot my EDC gun at the range, I remove the magazine with JHP ammo and use another with range ammo. I never shoot up my SD ammo, leaving at least one full magazine of JHP for the ride home.

Even when I bring my .357 Magnum to the range, I remove the JHP rounds and feed it range ammo, reloading the JHP for the ride home.

If you are going to mix ammo, you may want to consider how you shoot for defensive. Are you shooting one round and waiting for results or are you double or triple tapping? I would think you would want to do the maximum damage with the first couple of rounds so you don't have to expend the rest of your ammo.

Quote:
I would think you would want to do the maximum damage with the first couple of rounds so you don't have to expend the rest of your ammo.
What are you saying, my first couple of shot's should have been GDHP's?
Old February 24, 2010, 03:06 AM   #20
Elvishead

Quote:
As was mentioned in another post, if I shoot my EDC gun at the range, I remove the magazine with JHP ammo and use another with range ammo.
I do similar too.
But this was just for the drive home at that time.

I actually load my 16 round semi (Which I had in my duffle bag) with GDHP 124g +P for the first 6-8 shot's, then 7-8 hot FMJ "Nato" rounds in my CZ75.

Honestly, if I had just FMJs? Big deal, I just have to go for a head shot!

Last edited by Elvishead; February 24, 2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old February 24, 2010, 08:39 AM   #21
tmbrcruizr

I would think that loading should get you home, if you think not, I would find another range so as not to have to drive through those neighborhoods.
I buffet load my 340 for everyday, 3 gold dots, 2 158 gr jhp.
I carry it 24/7 and shoot often, I believe that is what it is for. If it doesn't hold up, i've got a spare in the safe. I have about 1500 round through the 340.
Old February 24, 2010, 08:46 AM   #22
Sgt127

I've had to scrounge around in the center console to find enough ammo to load my gun for the ride home before. There might be a couple rounds of ball, a couple different hollowpoints, a Semiwadcutter or two...whatever is laying in there and not covered in candy residue from the kids.

I never really thought about it. Its easy to run out at the range. Somebody wants to try out your gun at the last minute, a last second challenge: "Bet you can't hit that clay pidgeon laying on the berm out there at 25 yards." Next thing you know, you dun shot up all your ammo....

I never really was very worried about it, as long as you have a gun, and, some kind of ammo in it, you're ahead of the curve.

As an aside, I don't think I have ever taken a gun off the street, from a bad guy, that was actually loaded, all the way, with the same round. I have found .357 Magnums with one .357 Magnum....2 .38 Special round nose, 2 wadcutters one empty hole....autos loaded with a mix of 2 or 3 different makes of ball and hollowpoints. I think its a mix of whatever was in the gun when it was last stolen, and, whatever ammo they could find, at thier buddies meth lab or crack house, that got reasonably close to fitting in the gun.
Old February 24, 2010, 08:49 AM   #23
Rampant_Colt

"escalating threat" LoL

Alternating ammunition in the cylinders is mall ninja nonsense
Old February 24, 2010, 09:42 AM   #24
hoffbill

Legal ramifications

I load only factory self defense ammo in my home defense and carry ammo. First, that's what it is designed and tested to do best. Second, using anything else, if it ever become necessary, can open you up to legal problems depending on where you are. Example- accusations that you used something more lethal than SD ammo and therefore were looking for a "kill" rather than defending yourself. Know your local and state laws is the point. In some locales the authorities are not all advocates of self defense.
Old March 6, 2010, 02:59 AM   #25
Elvishead

One last, and further note since I opened up this can of worm's.

If I had just all FMJs, I wouldn't (NOT) have sweated it in the least bit. That, and I would have never let all my ammo be shot up at the range, there's not enough time in the night.

And honestly, I could have loaded my .357 with 125g Rem SJHP .357s, but I feel perfectly safe with my .38 FMJs.

If I really felt unsafe, I could have bought some HPs at the high range price's for HP .38s, +p or not.

All I got to say is, "Bring it on boy's!"

Last edited by Elvishead; March 6, 2010 at 03:04 AM.