The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 12, 2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Ky Joe

lightning rifle

I recently got a Uberti lightning. Mine had the 20" octagon barrell chambered for .45 LC. It is dead accurate at 50 feet with a crimped 250 gr lead bullet and 5.0 gr of Trail Boss smokeless powder. So, yes I like the gun, and the fit and finish were very good.

My only problem is the action feels "sticky" and creates a lot of gun motion when you chamber a round, and the trigger pull is a little heavy for my taste. I'd like to lighten the trigger and hammer springs if I could to reduce motion when chambering rounds and firing. (There is no appreciable recoil due to the heavy barrell).

My question is does anyone make a springset for this rifle?

SASS# 85655
Old February 12, 2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Pukindog

Lightning rifle

KY JOE, I hope you have better luck with yours than I had with mine. I had the Beretta Gold Rush in .357. ( made by Uberti ). Barrel came loose and could be twisted 1/2" off center. Sent the rifle back and was told it could not be fixed. Beretta was going to replace it with their Model 73 Renegade rifle since Beretta discontinued the Gold Rush. Long story short, they send me the Renegade. What a POS ( made by Uberti). I have a 1873 Special Sporting Rifle in .45 Colt. It is a completely different animal then the Beretta. I traded the Beretta Renegade on another Special Sporting in .357.
Shame of the matter is I really liked the Beretta Gold Rush. Because of this bad experience and in my opinion, very bad customer service, there will be no more Beretta purchases for me.

Good luck, Jeff
Old February 12, 2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Ky Joe

Lightning Rifle

I'm not familliar with the Beretta Gold Rush. Is that a "Colt Lightning" clone?

In any event, my gun seems to be very strong, and I can't imagine any way I could get this barrell to come loose, except by serious abuse. Everything is very tight.

All I think it needs is an "action job."