The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 18, 2016, 12:15 PM   #1
BarryLee

Tell Me About the S&W 910

I spoke with someone who has a S&W Model 910 he wants to sell for $300. He purchased the gun used from a gun shop a few years ago and based on appearance it may be an agency trade in. I trust this guy when he says that the gun functions fine. The only question I have is the price which I suspect is a little high and I also suspect he’ll come down some. I don’t need this gun, but thought if I could get it for $225 - $250 I would.

So, anyone have an idea what these guns go for in less than good cosmetic condition? Does anyone own one? My understanding is that it is sort of a budget version of the Third Generation semi-automatic, so does that impact reliability?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 18, 2016, 01:05 PM   #2
dieselbeef

i have one as new in the box just like it came and gave 250 for it..they don't get much respect but I like shooting it...im trying to by a 6906 also..guy thinks its worth more than 300..it aint..ruger p89 in the same boat..great gun...no respect

get it for 250 yer doing great..for 300..almost too much
Old October 18, 2016, 01:45 PM   #3
carguychris

The Model 910 the "Value Series" version of the Model 5904, with less refined slide machining, no starboard-side decocker/safety lever, a plastic guide rod, and plastic sights. Later 910s were modified to lock up on the ejection port rather than using an internal barrel lug.

Most 59-series holsters will work. All standard 59-series magazines will work, including 20rd and 30rd mags made for the Marlin Camp 9 Carbine. Metal guide rods from any 3rd-gen 59xx-series pistol are a drop-in swap. The pistol will accept slanted or Novak-style sights from a later 3rd-gen 59xx-series pistol; be aware that 3 styles of rear sight were used on the 59xx series – a vertical drift-adjustable blade, the Novaks, and a great big screw-adjustable unit – but the 3 styles are NOT mutually interchangeable because the rear dovetails are different sizes. Be careful to order the right ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee
My understanding is that it is sort of a budget version of the Third Generation semi-automatic, so does that impact reliability?
The only factor that impacts reliability is the use of a plastic rather than steel guide rod in the Value Series, and this doesn't impact function so much as ease of teardown and reassembly.

If you've never field-stripped and reassembled a S&W metal-frame auto pistol before, a lip on the end of the guide rod is retained under spring pressure by a remarkably narrow ledge under the barrel cam. The Value Series plastic guide rod lip can become rounded off and skip out of the ledge, potentially causing the guide rod to spontaneously fly out on disassembly and/or refuse to stay in place during reassembly. This is not a problem with the standard steel guide rod, which is tough enough that it won't become rounded off unless you do something really stupid with it.

As noted above, the standard metal guide rod is a direct fit, although I'm not sure S&W will sell you one, as they have been restricting the sales of certain 3rd-gen parts to non-LE owners; however, new Model 5946s have recently appeared on Cabela's shelves (there's a recent thread on this), which bodes well for 59xx-series parts availability in general.

Lastly, IMHO $300 is pretty steep for a M910 with significant cosmetic wear and no accessories or box; however, the pistol would be a decent buy at $250 if it's in good mechanical shape.

Last edited by carguychris; October 18, 2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old October 20, 2016, 12:15 PM   #4
PeterGunn

$250 to $275...

...for an example in good condition mechanically and cosmetically.

PeterGunn