The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 13, 2008, 03:10 PM   #1
schooner

NRA Qualification - Handgun or Bullseye Pistol?

Hey everyone, I bought my first gun (SA XD .45) about a month ago and went through the NRA's Basic Pistol course and now I'm completely addicted and have a membership at my local range so I'll be shooting at least once a week now.

I looked online at NRA's Qualification programs but I'm a bit confused as to why they have a "Handgun" and "Bullseye Pistol" course of fire. I'm a bit lossed as to which course I should do to improve my skill level. So any feedback or comments would be great.

P.S. I searched the forums but only found this very old and unanswered thread: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=125633
Old August 13, 2008, 04:14 PM   #2
darkgael

NRA qualification

You can find a description of both at:
http://www.nrahq.org/education/train...ip/Handgun.asp
and
http://www.nrahq.org/education/train...eye_pistol.asp
The basic differences are the type of target used and the way that the gun is held. For the most part, Bullseye qualification shooting is one hand beyond the Marksman level. Handgun qualification is a mix of one handed and two handed shooting. Kind of an oversimplification but...
Pete
Old August 13, 2008, 07:30 PM   #3
schooner

thanks darkgael. I read through both of those pages but I guess what I'm really looking for is a reason to choose one program over the other.

EDIT: I just read over the pages again and the target distances are much larger in the bullseye pistol course so I am assuming that it is more challenging. has anyone here done both?
Old August 13, 2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Ken O

Find out what competition is in your area and shoot them all. The XD will do well in all.
There are other than NRA matches you should try like IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, Bowing Pins, etc, etc. Its all fun, you paid a lot of money for your Pistol, shoot time all, and get lots of use out of it.
Old August 13, 2008, 09:55 PM   #5
darkgael

pistol groups

I shoot Bullseye pistol exclusively. But...I don't believe that one type of competition is easier than another; they are just different. Yes, Bullseye/Conventional Pistol shoots slow fire at 50 yds. and one must shoot everything offhand (one, unsupported). However, Bullseye does not ask the shooter to shoot from his or her weak hand as some other disciplines do. There are other differences...even rapid fire has a different meaning from one to another. Bullseye asks for strings of five shots fired in ten seconds; that's slower than some other shooting as I understand it.
Your XD can be used in any of these types of competitions; it can be used in both the Centerfire and .45 stages of a Bullseye match. As an entry level gun, it will be just fine. If you liked BE shooting enough to get involved, sooner or later your talent may overtake the limitations of the XD (it can't be accurized to the degree that a 1911 can. At least, not as yet.).
Pete
Old August 13, 2008, 11:27 PM   #6
schooner

Thank you both for the info. That answers a lot of my questions. I'll think I'll start working on both disciplines for practice to see what I like better. And I'll go to a few upcoming competitions too as you have suggested.
Old August 20, 2008, 10:06 AM   #7
kraigwy

I dont think there is any venue (excluding ISU international pistol) that will give you the fundamentals like Bullseye Pistol.

You start cleaning those 25 yard Rapid and Timed fire targets you are gonna raise heck in combat style pistol shooting on Sil. targets.

Everytime my pistol shooting gets sloppy I go back to Bullseye shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Tags
bullseye pistol , handgun , nra , qualification