The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 4, 2007, 04:11 PM   #1
alan

recoil sprigs for Star Model 30M 9mm pistol

Anyone know of a source for the above? Looking for factory spec springs or equivalent replacements.

Star went out of business a while back, being taken over by Astra or Liama if memory serves. The firm that took them over has since gone the way of all flesh.

Unfortunately Wolff does not make springs for this particular pistol, I checked with them.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Old August 4, 2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

I know of no source. Are the springs missing? Most recoil springs don't wear out.
Old August 5, 2007, 11:23 AM   #3
alan

Bill De Shivs:

Not missing, but the recoil spring (singular) seems to have weakened, springs can/do fatigue, and there is visible evidence of peening in the frame. This could be caused by "soft steel", which some Spanish made pistols were suposedly troubled with at one time, that being another question.

BTW, with 1911 pistols, I have used, I've noticed shortening of the standard 16# recoil spring by at least two coils, over the course of firing a couple thousand ball equivanent handloads (IPSC Major loads). This despite the use of "shock-buf" washers. So far as I've been able to discover, there aren't any of these made for the Star Model 30.

Thanks for your input.
Old August 5, 2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

I'm not even going there!