The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 20, 2006, 07:56 PM   #1
Nagano21

Look at this little guy shoot

This is a funny clip of a youngster huntin... well you will see what happens next

http://www.break.com/index/little_dove_hunter.html
Old November 20, 2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Capp35

That was just mean.
Old November 20, 2006, 08:27 PM   #3
BILLDAVE

Lucky kid!!!
Old November 20, 2006, 10:18 PM   #4
Fremmer

That made me nervous as heck. I can't tell if the gun is a semi or what kind of gun it is, but I'm glad the gun didn't discharge when the kid fell.
Old November 20, 2006, 11:35 PM   #5
rem33

gosh dads a jerk

Like to have the dad shoot a double barrel 10 gauge, mag load, full choke, with the triggers tied together.
I musta missed the humor. tuff little guy but still geeezzzz

Last edited by rem33; November 21, 2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old November 21, 2006, 01:18 AM   #6
Fat White Boy

It looked like an auto-loader to me. The kid was cute but I think I would have been more careful...
Old November 21, 2006, 02:05 AM   #7
Pucker

I'm sure it was just an ole pump. And the kid loved it. So I might not do that while mom's around but that boy will remember that for the rest of his life, probably with a grin. He might be a tad young but on the other hand his level of development firearm-wise will be much greater than his peers. May not mean squat to some but I'd be pretty proud if my kid was knocking doves out the sky at such an age.
Old November 21, 2006, 08:34 AM   #8
roy reali

Single Shot

Look closely at the kid's shotgun. You will see a lever just foward of the grip. I bet that is used to open the gun at the hinge. Since I only see one barrel, it must be a single shot.
Old November 21, 2006, 09:13 AM   #9
john in jax

At the ripe old age of 8 or 9 my uncle took us out to shoot some shotguns. After shooting several different shotguns (Barney Fife style - only one shell in the gun) over the course of a few hours he decided we were safe enough to load up both bbls of 12ga side-by-side. Me, my siblings and cousins went through several rotations shooting cans, etc . . . without incident.

However I was a little too excited when my turn came around again and I promptly put my index finger on the front trigger, my middle finger on the back trigger and cut loose with both bbls at the same time . . . OUCH! But I LOVED it, it was great. Memories of those times and days are among the best in my head.
Old November 21, 2006, 10:25 AM   #10
Nagano21

I wish the dad got the kids first dove on film... I wonder if he got knocked over the first time ( I assume he musta).
Old November 21, 2006, 11:49 AM   #11
juliet charley

Betcha he grows up and joins the National Rifle Association, and NOT Handgun Control, Inc.
Old November 21, 2006, 12:19 PM   #12
Kato_Guy

Even though the kid got the crap nocked out of him at least he still loves being out there shooting!!!
Old November 21, 2006, 04:15 PM   #13
TATER

Tuff as nails....
Old November 21, 2006, 06:41 PM   #14
Pointer

Crappy way to teach shooting...

Guaranteed way to teach flinching...

Daddy needs his a$$ kicked!

30-06 FOREVER
Old November 21, 2006, 06:54 PM   #15
Pucker

If that were me I think I'd really like to have you say such a thing to my face. Hell, I don't even know the guy and I'd like to set you straight on his behalf. What the hell's wrong with you? And over him improperly teaching his son how to shoot? Not even the remote safety issue? I suppose it should be no suprise that it'd be a ... like you who puts outdated, if not downright hypocritical partisan BS in their signatures.
Old November 21, 2006, 09:17 PM   #16
Trip20

Pucker - There's not a darn thing wrong with a kid his age shooting dove with 'ole Dad. Like you, I'd be proud of my little boy too. But that's not the issue.

I think the point is that the father could have taught his kid to shoot, hunt dove, and have a great time with Paw, all with out setting his kid up to get hammered with recoil to make a funny video.

Either the father has a poor understanding of what loads are appropriate for a kid his age/size, or he set the kid up to be hammered in the shoulder because he thought it'd be funny. You can hear Dad holding back a little bit of laughter, I think he knew what was coming.

Either way it wasn't good judgement.
Old November 21, 2006, 11:54 PM   #17
Ac1d0v3r1d3

dont see a problem...well kinda

I dont think dad's a jerk. He didnt laugh at son, gave him nothing but praise. And thats what kids need. He probably should have got the little guy a .410 with a shorter stock, but if thats all hes got then thats all hes got. I wish my Mother hadn't been against me shooting at such a young age, otherwise i'm sure i would have had a smilar expierence with my father.
Dad had a good time, Son had a good time, nobody got hurt, not too bad anyway. So i dont see anything wrong.
Old November 22, 2006, 12:47 AM   #18
costabile4601

No problem for the Dad and Kid....

... but you can be sure that someone else will be showing that video to illustrate why guns 'are unsafe'. With that type of video it's easy to paint with a very broad brush.
Old November 22, 2006, 08:59 AM   #19
iudoug

Mixed Feelings..

I was looking at that laughing and then thinking of all the bad things that kid is learning....mainly flinching....then I remembered a time 43 years ago when I flew off of a boat seat shooting dads Model 97 at a duck. Heck, I was a wimp but would have shot it 50 more times if he would have let me. After that day the 410 was brought out along with proper instruction.....so...bottom line...no harm no foul. Doug
Old November 22, 2006, 09:26 AM   #20
dragonfire

Being as I have let my boys 10 and 6 shoot my twelve gauge its not to bad but I did help them hold it too.One time my little cousins were here and they're twins at 9 at the time the first one shot and starting crying and the other one said no way.My uncle turned to him and said oh no if your brother did it so are you. It was funny at the time.
Old November 22, 2006, 03:31 PM   #21
Pointer

Quote:
If that were me I think I'd really like to have you say such a thing to my face. Hell, I don't even know the guy and I'd like to set you straight on his behalf. What the hell's wrong with you? And over him improperly teaching his son how to shoot? Not even the remote safety issue? I suppose it should be no suprise that it'd be a ... like you who puts outdated, if not downright hypocritical partisan BS in their signatures.
You may speak on behalf of the Daddy, if you like... But, I was speaking "on behalf" of the little boy and I figured anyone should understand, that the Daddy was a macho-flippin'-bully who would never do such a dirty trick to someone big enough to fight back...

I had a Grandpa who was like that... he was a sadistic bully and he beat his wife and his daughter (MY MOTHER)...

He made me kill an owl with my BB Gun!!!!
And the owl shouldn't have been killed at all!

I was 6 at the time, and even at that age, I knew that a Daisy BB Gun would not properly kill that Owl... it was barely able to do the job on the rats in the barn...
Hell, the Owl was helping us with the rats!!!

I was a good shot, even then, and I hit it between the eyes...

I was barely strong enough to cock the gun, and it took me "forever", and 18 shots, to kill that Barn Owl... And I got no help from that SOB bigshot!

Heaven knows I despise a bully...
And there is, and can be, absolutely NO excuse for doing a s**tty thing like that to a trusting little child...

And I repeat... that Daddy needs HIS a$$ kicked... or at least he needs to shoot a .50BMG WITHOUT the muzzle brake...

30-06 FOREVER
Old November 22, 2006, 04:31 PM   #22
juliet charley

Sounds to me like you're carting around some serious baggage. Maybe it's time to stop judging the world by your grandfather (and a little forgiveness can go a long ways).
Old November 22, 2006, 10:01 PM   #23
Pointer

Regardless of the baggage...

a bully is a bully and macho is macho and tyranny is tyranny.

I forgave Pawa long time ago...and he's been dead for 35 years...

I told the story here to illustrate a point...

But, thank you for your concern...

30-06 FOREVER
Old November 22, 2006, 10:33 PM   #24
dave0520

Pointer, the kid seemed to be enjoying it. I think he pretty much expected the recoil, especially since he had already shot a dove, but he did it anyway. I don't see anything wrong with it.
Old November 22, 2006, 11:01 PM   #25
Fremmer

What's wrong with it? A child is falling on the ground with a firearm. Stated otherwise, the shooter completely lost control of the gun. Was his finger on the trigger when he fell on the gun? Did the muzzle flash anyone? I don't know, and that's what makes me nervous. It was totally unsafe and unncessary. And a good way to damage the gun, too.

Last edited by Fremmer; November 22, 2006 at 11:36 PM.