The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 1999, 10:22 PM   #1
Bruce in West Oz

I use Hornady 45gr V-Max in my Savage Hornet, and am extremely pleased with the results.

However, I have the opportunity to go goat shooting, and want something a little less "explosive", that will give deeper penetration. I know the Hornet isn't any powerhouse, and is probably not enough gun for goats, but (a) I can hit what I aim at, and (b) I won't be given a licence for anything heavier.

I have tested up to 52-grainers at the range, and they stabilise OK in my barrel. Also, we can buy most of the "common" brands of bullets here.

Anyone have any suggestions? Loads to go with them, probably using Win 296? (or other suggested powder)

Or do you think the V-Max will hold together well enough to penetrate?

Thanks
Bruce
Old May 23, 1999, 03:21 PM   #2
Paul B.

Bruce. Have you looked in the Hornady manual #3? They have data for the .55 gr. bullet. They say, "Normally 55 gr. bullets do not receive a great deal of consideration for the Hornet because of reduced velocities, but use of the 55 gr. FMJ Hornady bullet for table fare is an excellent choice to prevent a great deal of damage to the meat."
They used a Ruger #3 with a 22" barrel and achieved velocities up to 2500 FPS. I see no reason why you could not use soft point bullets with the same data, if your rifle will stabilize them.
If you don't have the data, E-mail me and I'll send it to you via E-mail. I don't like to send data over the threads. Somebody mis-uses it and some greedy lawyer is out to sue me.
Hope this helps.
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!
Old May 24, 1999, 05:53 AM   #3
Bruce from West Oz

Thanks, Paul.

I hadn't gone as far "up" the range as the 55-grainers. 2500 fps would be well and truly fast enough, but I don't know about FMJ.

I don't have the Hornady handbook, but I can access a copy.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Bruce