The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 29, 2013, 09:30 AM   #1
CajunBass

Taurus 96, 22 LR.

Man, I was shocked to realize that. Over the last several months, I've sold off a fairly nice accumulation of handguns I had. I just didn't have the time to shoot them anymore, and didn't see any sense in letting them set in the safe, in the dark. I let them go to others who would enjoy them more than I did. Don't regreat selling any of them.

BUT...the other day, I realized I didn't have a 22 revolver anymore. Well drat...my wife has one, a Ruger Single-Six, and I've got a really nice Ruger Mk III, 5.5 in bull barrel, and a red dot sight, but I don't have a revolver.

So I had to fix that. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, and the hunt is most of the fun. First I found a nice old model, unconverted three screw Ruger Single-Six. Cool. This would be perfect, and the price was right. But then it turned out to be a 22 magnum only model. I have no use for and no interest in the 22 magnum. Back to the hunt.

A few weeks later, a really NICE five screw Smith & Wesson 22 Target Masterpiece turns up. Really nice, but out of my price range. I was tempted though.

Then a couple of weeks later, I go in and see what I think is another S&W in the 22 case. Price tag is $300.00. Ok, it's not a Smith. Turned out to be a Taurus Model 96, a more or less copy of the Model 17. K-Frame size, six inch barrel, adjustable sights, six shots, blue steel, trigger overtravel stop, wood target style grips. The cylinder flutes and topstrap are grooved marking it as an older one probably from the late 70's or early 80's. The Taurus website doesn't have the s/N (114xxx) in their database. Locks up tight, timing is on, bore is shiney, trigger is decent. A bit of dickering and it went on layaway for $275.00 out the door.

I picked it up yesterday.

It'll do for a plinker.

John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; June 30, 2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old June 29, 2013, 09:54 AM   #2
weblance

Nice revolver. I realized many years ago, never sell any guns. You will regret it later. Just sayin...
Old June 29, 2013, 10:03 AM   #3
CajunBass

Quote:
Nice revolver. I realized many years ago, never sell any guns. You will regret it later. Just sayin...
Thanks, but not me. I've bought, sold, traded, and swapped dozens of them. Never regreted it one time. They make thousands of them, and there's always another one out there somewhere. And the hunt is most of the fun anyway.

Last edited by CajunBass; June 30, 2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old June 29, 2013, 03:22 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
The cylinder flutes and topstrap are grooved marking it as an older one probably from the late 70's or early 80's. The Taurus website doesn't have the s/N (114xxx) in their database.
Probably predates Taurus USA.

Quote:
Naaah. My collection is in constant slow flux. Most everything I've rid myself of I'm ahead for doing so.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 29, 2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Carmady

How do you like it compared to the Sentinel?
Old June 29, 2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
You are a wise man weblance
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 30, 2013, 05:56 AM   #7
CajunBass

Quote:
How do you like it compared to the Sentinel?
It's different, and made to do a different job. The Sentinel is more a kit gun, and just about perfect for that job. The aluminum frame makes it light as a feather. I'll tell you what. If I was younger, and bummed around in the woods a lot or hiked or something like that, the (High Standard) Sentinel would be had to beat. In an Uncle Mikes Sidekick holster, you can forget it's on your hip. It's a good shooter too.

This is more a target type revolver. Bigger, heavier, longer barrel, target type sights, adjustable trigger stop, target type grips and so on.