The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 13, 2012, 10:57 AM   #1
roberto mervicini

help re scope mount on carcano 91

Hi, any one had experience on mounting scope on Carcano.?
This summer I acquire a Carcano barreled action, the model was already sporterized during the 30', double set trigger, and rebarreled with a Manlicher S. 6.5x54 barrel in the stump of the original barrel, was known as Eaton's Carcano.
I clean it up, blue, set him on a new stock ( Boyd semi inletted ) and now I would like to set him up with a scope.
I was thinking of a Packmayr swing side mount, this could allowed me to keep the scope center on top and still use the clip, most likely need to replace bolt handle with a more strimline one.... any one try this ??? Do you think will work??
If not working what other option is it ? I do not like off set scope ( to the left of the action) nor scouts .
Thanks, Roberto
Old September 13, 2012, 11:33 AM   #2
velocette

Your best bet is to contact Brownells.
www.brownells.com

Roger
Old September 13, 2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Scorch

Hi Roberto!
Weaver makes a side-mount and special rings that allow you to mount the scope over the bore axis. The receiver must be drilled properly to mount the sights.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/574...e-base-1-gloss
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/272...ngs-gloss-high
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/340...yle-gloss-high

The only other option would be to find an older Griffin & Howe side-mount rail and mount setup.
Old September 13, 2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Think you can get a Carcano enbloc clip in under one of those Weaver side mounts? I don't see where Weaver makes a pivot mount to fit, which would be a good alternative to the Pachmayr.

A scout scope set on the barrel ahead of the action will work.
Old September 14, 2012, 10:53 AM   #5
roberto mervicini

http://

Hello Scorch,
Tks for the reply, yes I look at the Weaver but I already got the Packmayr on the way, found one last week on line and should be here by next week.
Hope I could fitted, from the picture look as new, the fellow told me it was for a mauser, I thought the Packmayr would give me the advantage of flipping the scope over to the side on stead of removing it when loading the clip.
My concern is to have enough hight to clear the bolt handle ( I will cut it and replace with a more strimline one).
I guess I will know when the mount arrive!
Already have 2 Packmayr mounts one on a 7mmRMAG ( top mount) and one on a 6.5husky they are a little larger compared to a more modern mount, but very solid and both hold zero fine.
Best Regards
roberto
Old September 14, 2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Gunplummer

Swing mount sounds good. I have one on a 99' Savage and it retains zero. I think it is an old Tasco set up. On my 6.5 (Lee Harvey) I used a Savage Model 30??(Help me out with the model, Guys, I am having a senior moment)scope base integral with the rings. It is a sheet metal stamping but works well and was easy to adjust with a little heat. I bought it through THE GUN PARTS CORP. I had plenty of room for the clip and only had to bend the bolt, not replace it. I like the tip -off mount idea better, but if it does not work out this is an alternative. The Weaver set up is trouble.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:01 AM   #7
roberto mervicini

Hi Gunplummer,
Tks for the suggestion, I had look at the mount you refer to ( for the 340 Savage ) but I reserve that only if nothing else work, the reason is esthetic, it give me the impression that with it, the scope is offset to the left of the axis of the bore.... correct me if I am wrong.
Regards.
roberto
Old September 18, 2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Gunplummer

You are right, it off sets the scope. I do like the tip-off idea if you can work it out. And it is a Savage 340 set up, but it is better than the Weaver if you must go that way.
Old September 20, 2012, 11:03 AM   #9
roberto mervicini

Ok, the Packmayr mount is arrived, look like new, marked "for mauser action", from first dry run look like it could fit fine... if require a little shim not a problem... also found a scope: early generation bushnell scopechief 3-9x32 BDC the bell is not big and that is good, but the bolt handle must go and replaced with one with lower clearance, also not a problem.

Re installation I need suggestions, never installed a side base before.

This is how I would proceed if not having a better way suggested:
-Put the scope with adjustment 0-0 on the mount ( so I could benefit full adjustment either way on the scope later) .
-Position and clamp scoped mount on the action aligned with bore sighter and mark the holes.
-Drill, tap,(8x40) install verify and shim if required
-Test fire and final scope adjustment
Old September 23, 2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Gunplummer

Not sure what a Pachemayer mount looks like, but most side mounts don't leave much room to move the scope. Make sure you can get proper eye relief before attaching the mount permanently.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:56 AM   #11
rightside

The Savage 340 mount works well, but you do have to bend it slightly and turn the scope turrets 90 degrees(Lee Harvey's was the same way) so the Carcano can be loaded with the en-bloc stripper clips that fall out the bottom when empty. Other wise you have a single shot. Kind of a pain shooting off center like that, but as we all know ,it can be done successfully. Hopefully the Pachmyar works better.
Old September 23, 2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Gunplummer

Yes, I clamped a 1" bar in the base and used a little heat, but I don't think you would need the heat with the bar. I have an old K-series Weaver scope mounted on mine.
Old September 26, 2012, 10:59 AM   #13
roberto mervicini

Last nite I start working to mount the base on the carcano action.
Bore sight on I position and clamp the scoped mount on the action and once aligned I mark the first hole; drill and tap and tight the first screw.
Verify alignement, adjust by temporary lengthen the supporting pin under the front ring till touching the front bridge to mantain alignement ( later i will build the pin properly by having weld a small ammount of metal ) and drill and tap a second hole.
The base is temporary set maintaining the allignement but not properly mate to the action, the mauser side wall shape more vertical and the carcano is more round the best way I know to mate it to the action is to fill the gap with arcagel.... so this morning after coating the base and the action and screws with release agent I used arcagel tinted black, set the 2 screws reverify alignement ok and left for work.
To nite I will separate, clean the metal and polish the arcaglas wedge and make the 2 remaining holes.
Old September 27, 2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Sweet Shooter

roberto mervicini... Any chance of some updated photos. I like your rifle as it is—without the scope. Seems like a lot of mucking about to put a scope on a rifle that is already extremely practical. I had a similar adventure with my CZ527 recently and in the end removed the scope.
-SS-
Old September 28, 2012, 11:55 AM   #15
roberto mervicini

Hi Sweet Shooter,
I will post new pictures on the week end, the mount is on and the scope aligned. The stock inletted to allowed the side base.
I started with a bore sighter, and finally verify with the rifle on a cradle, pointing the scope on a small glass insulator on the electric pole about 110 yrds from the house and without touching the rifle I look through the bore to see if I am on it. For the final adjustment nedd to find time to go to the range.
Wednesday nite I cut the bolt handle off set the replacement up on a jig and a TIG welding shop near the house weld it on thursday, I need to shaped and polish and I am done.
Yes I could have it left open sights but I have problem with my eyes that is why I tooke this route.
All ours rifles ( my son and mine ) are scoped with 3 exceptions, a .308 spanish mauser with a peep, a CZ858 and a savage 340 in 30/30 that I never fired... was missing the clip wen got it as present and never got around to buy one, I look into at gun shows... but I guess I dont look hard enough!!! .
Old September 29, 2012, 06:35 PM   #16
roberto mervicini

Hello Sweet Shooter,
Here the album including the last pics of the Carcano, scope mounted and bolt handle replaced....the replacement came from a straight bolt cut off from a Siamese mauser.
At the begining of the album you could see the barreled action as I originally got it.
Total cost of this project:
Barreled action $40
Boyd Stock semi-inlett, ship included $120
Post and arcagel bedding $ 5
Sand papers $ 10
Packmayr mount used, ship included $ 40
Scope-Chief 3-9x32 used, $ 25
Welding the bolt handle $ 20
My time to put it togheter pricelees.... keep me busy, decompress and relaxing after a working day and out of trouble for several evenings !!!!
Now I reloads some rounds, and will see if all this was worthed. I decided that for this baby I will use 160 grain tips, since have a full box of hornady RN on hand for over 20 yrs.!!!
We (My son and I) have 2 others 6.5, Husky, that they been feed exclusively 139 grain tip and both sub moa rifles.

Here http://
Old September 29, 2012, 07:56 PM   #17
CowTowner

Wonderful work! You should be extremely proud.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old October 2, 2012, 10:56 AM   #18
roberto mervicini

Thanks CowTowner, this is my longest lasting hobby! Started about 30 yrs a go and every year I build one some time two sporter.