The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 18, 2011, 10:58 AM   #1
crasha51pan

Question about my Browning A5, 16ga.

I have a 16 ga Browning Auto 5 that belonged to my dad, I guess it has to be more than 65 years old, or near that (although I am not sure). Markings on the gun are:
Barrel: Browning Arms Ogden, Utah
Made in Belguim
Breach: Browning Arms St. Louis, MO
The barrel has a "Poly Choke Co. Hartford, Conn. Single Turn" choke attached. It reads:
Full
1V
IMP CYL
3V
MOD
5V
I have found where I can buy a "16ga. 2 3/4", 1oz Lead Rifled Slug" for the gun. I live in bear country (Grizzly) and thought it would be good to put my dads gun back in the field (for hiking and such, pertection). Can I shoot that shell, with the choke attached. What setting would I put the choke on if I can shoot the slug round ?
Appreciate your time...Mike

Read more: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...#ixzz1gu0GKdmV
Old December 18, 2011, 11:11 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

The best place to ask is www.poly-choke.com they are still making the choke and can tll you how to adjust it.

The response's you get here will be from someone's opinion or how uncle Ned used it on his shotgun 40 years ago.
Old December 18, 2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Floridave

Be sure it is made for 2 3/4 shells. Many of the old ones are not. There should be a small 16-70 inside an oval on the barrel, if so, you're good to go. If it's 16-65, you have other issues to consider. I think slugs are fine, I know they've been shot in a polychoke model 12 that I have, but I agree with Jaguar, you should call poly-choke folks and ask.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old December 18, 2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Floridave

Out of curiosity, I looked at my old polychoked 16ga and it's the 'deeeluxe' model. Can't believe my grandfather sprung for that! it actually has an index for SLUG, so not the same as your model.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old December 18, 2011, 12:58 PM   #5
crasha51pan

Floridave,
You made the comment "If it's 16-65, you have other issues to consider", so I got curious. Went out and checked and I did find what looks like a oval with16-65 inside. What are the "other issues" you mentioned.
I'm not even sure as to what type of Browning this is, I thought A-5 but not sure. The serial # is located on the bottom , just in front of where you load the shells.
There is an oval with FN inside, a (what appears to be) star under the oval and under that is the #105007
Do I need to worry about the 16-65 ???
Thanks for your time...
Old December 18, 2011, 01:22 PM   #6
oneounceload

65mm is the chamber length which means 2-1/2" shells NOT 2-3/4

Do NOT use 2-3/4 ammo in it, an unfired shell will fit, but shell length is the fired length, not the unfired length