The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 14, 2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Willie Lowman

How and how often do you?

Train that is.

I have built five silhouette stands out of 2x4s for use with the brown/white cardboard targets. I have a 6 paddle dueling tree and I sometimes rig up some (very)crude moving targets with rope and pulleys. ---I know that none of these "badguys" pose any threat to my well being but... when you figure out how to make cardboard shoot back, let me know.

So I make it a point to fire no less than 100 rounds a month from my Glock. I try to keep it between 300 to 500 but you know how ammo is now.

I do some double tap drills. Some failure to stop and the ever challenging shooting while moving drill. After that I knock the steel plates around for a bit.

Once every two to three months I practice drawing and shooting from ground positions. (always gets some funny looks).

In summer months my friends and I break the Black Rifles out and try our hands at tagging targets between 30 to 100 yards. (100 is the end of the field we use as a range)

I would like to get some practice shooting in dim light but my neighbors wouldn't put up with that kind of thing for long.
Old April 14, 2009, 07:44 PM   #2
bigghoss

due to the lack of ammo and the high winds I've resorted to a kwa airsoft glock. the look, feel, and function is nearly identical to that of a fullsize 17/22. it's good because I can practice in my apartment. in the evening I can shut off the lights and I can even put my light on it and shoot with that.

it's difficult to keep the BB's from ending up all over the apartment though...
Old April 14, 2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Deaf Smith

Guys you need to reload, and all a .22 training pistol.

I shoot weekly. What I do is when I get home I load up 20 to 30 rounds. By the weekend, I have 140 or so 9mm rounds loaded (or .38s or .45s depending on what reloading equipment I graviate to.)

Then when I go practice I have a .22 unit for the Glock (and a .22 Kimber 1911 for the .45 and a .22 Smith J frame revolver for the J 642.)

So then I first, with an empty gun, do draws from concealment. Practice hip shooting, retention, one handed shooting, reloading, pivots, transitions, backpedals, etc... Then go to the .22 and do it all over again. Lastingly, use the 9mm/.38/.45. and again do it over.

By the time I'm finished, I am TIRED. And I havn't shot up all that much ammo.

And at home I use my laser glock, which is an airsoft glock I took the insides out and glued a laser to the barrel and the pressure swith under the trigger.

I turn off the lights and practice drawing and 'firing' the laser glock in all kinds of ways. You learn alot that way.
Old April 14, 2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

Laser Glock huh? pretty cool.

I do reload. Just not often enough and in high enough volume.
Old April 15, 2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Powdersmoke

I try to practice 2400 rounds a year with my center fire handguns and as much more as I can with my Ruger MK II .22 pistol. I've also gotten 5915 shots so far this year through the co2 powered semi auto BB pistol that I shoot in my basement. I shoot the LFI Qualification Coarse at 2X speed at least or I shoot from the LFI qalification distances and stances but draw and shoot one shot at each of 3 targets per string for a variation. I do some practice at 25yds too even though it's way more likely that any self defense encounters will take place at bad breath distance!
Old April 15, 2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Deaf Smith

And Willie, you can do FOF drills with other people all the time. Just wear glasses that stop lasers. Sure it don't hurt like simulations but you can set up the whole thing in any house. Just don't let the neighbors see!
Old April 24, 2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Bob F.

Airsoft against an opponent, or, better yet, simunitions (with protective equip). Pain increases the adrenalin. Good practice. Just make darned sure it's the right gun and ammo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
Old April 24, 2009, 07:44 PM   #8
GuyMontag

Well ammo prices are painful so I do a bunch of different stuff.

I dry fire working on sights and triggers.
I do all different kinds of reloads: reload with retention, tactical, slide lock, etc.
I present from the holster.
I practice house clearings focusing on corners and pieing.
Sometimes I practice things like flashlights etc.

When I can get to a range I make noise and holes.
Old April 25, 2009, 10:52 AM   #9
SigSauerIsBetter

Probably not the right thread, but...

I recently picked up an Airsoft H&K USP Compact and realized after firing off a couple of rounds that my backyard could quickly become over run with BBs. Does anyone have a trick for catching the BBs?

I have resorted to this after tracking my shots fired this year and doing the math on the cost of each round. Once I changed my underwear, I went out and bought the airsoft. My hope is that it will save me money on ammo and laundry detergent.

Thanks.

-------------------------
Track Every Shot @
http://www.rangelog.com
Old April 25, 2009, 11:46 AM   #10
Willie Lowman

Get a big cardboard box, fix another sheet of cardboard inside at an angle like this crappy representation...

----------------------
l . .. .. . / . . . . . Hang your paper target here.
l . . . . /
l . . . / . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . You shoot from over here.
l . . /
l . /
----------------------
(please don't mind all the dots in my drawing, I had to add them to make this look right when it posted.)
The angled piece will/should deflect the BBs down where they can land on a old blanket or towel. Put another towel over the back just in case any blow through.

I may or may not have made a BB catcher like this when we were shooting air soft pistols at work. I mean when we were NOT shooting air soft pistols at work. We never did that. nope.

Last edited by Willie Lowman; April 25, 2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Don't know what I am doing.
Old April 25, 2009, 06:14 PM   #11
Kyo

A few times a night. If I can't sleep I will train drawing from IWB, and dry firing the gun with DA shots only just so I can get used to the first pull. 1 target in the room, practice moving, reloading, yelling commands. The living room has 3 targets.