The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 4, 2015, 01:47 PM   #1
raysmithson1

wads

Was talking to a fellow the other day about wads he says stiffer wads hold a better pattern he uses four petal wads , I use windjammer eight petal any input on this subject, and sts hulls, we do trap .
Old September 4, 2015, 02:14 PM   #2
Bake

This question comes up from time to time. I (Trap Shooter) prefer the Windjamers because with eight pedals I have a much more symmetrical shaped pattern. See number one below.
Old September 4, 2015, 04:54 PM   #3
FITASC

One easy way to find out - go to the pattern plate and see what the loads do and how they pattern..........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 5, 2015, 05:03 PM   #4
BigJimP

I don't think it makes that much difference...in terms of number of petals / I prefer Duster wads - and they're all 4 petal wads ( and so is Winchester )....

I think the quality of the crimp on the shell...and how many times you've reloaded it ....and its cumulative effect on velocity - might make a little bit of difference...

But the real difference is in the quality of the shot ( how round it is )...and a lot of the cheaper shot, is not very round ..and it will give you more "flyers" outside the optimal pattern...vs higher quality shot.

We were bored at the gun club one day...and got a piece of plate glass...and we cut up some cheap shells ( Estate and Rio and maybe Chedite..../ and we raised the glass to about a 10 degree angle ...and poured the shot out of the shell down the plate glass...and it wobbeled all over the place - out of the cheap shells !! We had some new Rem STS shells...and we cut 2 or 3 of them open, and it was amazing how much better the shot rolled down the plate glass ( shot looked a lot more "regular" on inspection.....and we had a bag of reclaimed shot..( and man did it wobble all over the place too )...and a bag of Northwest Shot...that wasn't too bad / not as good as the shot coming out of the new STS hulls..but pretty good.

For practice - I shoot all kinds of shot .../ for tournaments, I'll shoot new STS shells....