The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2009, 01:35 AM   #1
wgb_ks

Lead exposure while resizing?

When brass is resized, polished in corn cob/walnut/acid what are the chances of getting lead poisoning? Is there that much lead in the primer to be concerned? What about the black residue on the outside of the case? How about the dust from polishing in walnut or corn cob? Have there been any studies done. I do not want to poison myself nor my family.
Old January 12, 2009, 01:41 AM   #2
kraigwy

I hope not, if so, I'd have been dead years ago.

Seriouly, I've been reloading for over 40 years using mostly cast bullets that I cast. Even had a business a while back selling reloaded 38s to police departments.

Twice a year I have a physical, one of the things they check for is lead in my system. They never found any above normal levels.

In my opinion, worrying about lead posining from shooting and reloading comes right after a meteor hitting me in the head, for things to worry about.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 12, 2009, 02:39 AM   #3
Shoney

Your risk of getting elevated lead levels in your blood during the loading process is quite small, unless you are putting your hands in your mouth, eating while loading, or do not wash your hands after handling lead.

Yes, there are lead compounds in primers, and it does build up in the polishing medium. Again, exposure is limited unless you are inhaling the dust on aregular basis.

Other sources of lead poisoning can be from shooting in poorly ventilated areas. Indoor ranges are designed to carry air toward the targets in high volume flow. Lead can be vaporized when you shoot, not only from cast bullets but from jacketed bullets with exposed lead on the bases. Lead is also vaporized when the projectile hits the backstop. That is why some indoor ranges require TMJ's.

Should you worry? No! But you should be aware that you can have problems if you are not careful over a period of years.

If you have small children, you best be careful. The effects are much greater on them. Kids are growing rapidly and incorporating more of their surroundings into their growth. Lead greatly affects nervous system development in children.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111