The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Atticus Thraxx

Need some advice

I'm starting to get scorch marks or really maybe unburnt or partially burnt powder along one side of cases after shooting reloaded .45. I'm using Bullseye and have for a while. This has started last couple of batches of reoladed with same recipe I've been using for a while.
If it is unburnt powder, why would it all not ignite? Bullseye I thought was a quick burner. I'm using Winchester primers and have been for awhile.
Something has changed and I can't figure it out.
Any ideas?

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!
Old January 10, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It's not unusual for very light loads to mark the outside of the case mouth. They don't expand the brass enough to completely seal the chamber. I've seen unburnt particles that were contaminated with cast bullet lube. It's not usual to see much Bullseye unburnt, though. Unique used to do that to me all the time, but I don't recall it from Bullseye. In general it means you need a little more powder to get the pressure up a little.

What is your load and how are you charging the cases with powder?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 10, 2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Atticus Thraxx

I'm running 200 gr LSWC over 3.8 gr of Bullseye. I agree Bullseye while "dirty" hasn't presented any problems like this. There's discoloration in the chamber and I went at it with a brush for a while. Can't get a pinkie in and feel but a q-tip run over the spot isn't grabbing. I wonder if I got some grit of some kind in there and screwed it up. If so, think it can be fixed by a smith or should I think about replacing? Thanks.

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!