The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2008, 09:42 AM   #1
The Terminator

Question about Blue Dot

I just got my Lee dies in for my 45/70. Checking the load sheet, I was amazed that it listed 15.5gr of Blue Dot for a 385gr LEAD load at 1100 fps, a real mild load. 16.5gr is the max load listed. Nothing else was listed for Blue Dot in any weight or load.

Has anybody tried this powder in a 45/70? Currently, I am using 50gr of IMR 3031, and the Blue Dot load seems awfully low in case capacity. Could there be a pressure problem?
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old December 2, 2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Loader9

Alliant has been reformulating powders across the entire line. Blue Dot is no exception. They now have a warning about use in certain cartridges:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/safety/safetynotice.htm

I have all but eliminated Alliant powders from use at my place. I don't have the time to rework loads up every time they decide to change their formulation. I can't tell you if it is good data or not, but I will tell you it isn't on the Alliant website anymore for use in a 45-70. Load at yer own risk!
Old December 2, 2008, 11:50 AM   #3
The Terminator

Point well taken. I don't think that I will ever use it in the 45/70. I bought it for a .41 magnum. Also, I want to use it for some .357 mag. Best -
Old December 2, 2008, 12:25 PM   #4
joneb

I have used Blue Dot for .308 Win. with very good results. I found that 16gr of BD with a Nos 125gr BT and standard primers will shoot 1" groups at 100yds from a Howa 1500. I use this load for rock chucks, I can shoot a bunch and the barrel stays cool and very clean.
Old December 2, 2008, 12:38 PM   #5
CowTowner

Quote:
I bought it for a .41 magnum. Also, I want to use it for some .357 mag. Best -
* Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
* Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).

Taken from the above linked Alliant Safety Notice.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 2, 2008, 05:22 PM   #6
crowbeaner

I've used about a 1/2 keg of BD over the years, and one thing I've noticed is that it varies a LOT between cans and lots. If I had to buy more, I'd get a 5# container and work up my loads; at least that way I'd know what to expect until I needed to buy some more.
Old December 2, 2008, 08:46 PM   #7
73-Captain

Blue Dot data in .45-70

Have a lot of data using Blue Dot, Unique and other handgun and "non-traditional" powders in the .45-70 and many other common cartridges.

Can't PM you though.

C.

Last edited by 73-Captain; December 2, 2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old December 3, 2008, 11:07 AM   #8
ryalred

I use Blue Dot for reduced loads in my .243, .257 Wby Mag, .30-30, and .30-06. It works great. However, you have to know what your doing and have good data. It is easy to get too much and it is possible to get a double charge. You must pay attention when using it for reduced loads.
reloading -- addicted
Old December 7, 2008, 06:31 PM   #9
johnsonva

The Terminator,

I have hade excellent results with Blue Dot in my 45-70 which is a Remington rolling block. I'm using 20.0 grains with a 300gr Hornaday H.P. I've been using this load for about the last year or so and have used several different lots. I have no pressure signs at all and the load has very little recoil. As always stary low and work up.

Johnsonva
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45-70.jpg (166.2 KB, 34 views)
Old December 7, 2008, 07:21 PM   #10
The Terminator

johnsonva,
I looked your load over, I am going to log it. If I get to load some of these, I'll be sure to chrono them as I saw you do. I have some 300 gr solid copper-plated on order. I have two boxes of Sierra 300 gr hollow points, I just don't want to use them to plink with. I'm saving them for hunting. I have taken some 350 grs to the range this weekend. Shoulder stompers, 50 gr of IMR 3031. Me no like after 50 rounds for range time. I just put together a few 350 grs at 40 grains of IMR 3031, Just a few grains above the old Shiloh speed and load, according to Hogdon.

Best - Ted
Old December 7, 2008, 10:19 PM   #11
amamnn

Just to re-check Alliant's current versions of powders I went to their loading guide and powder use recommendations.

You can get the same info:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/blue_dot.htm

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/waterfowl.htm

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...terfire%20Load

It looks to me that Blue Dot is still NOT a rifle powder.
Old December 7, 2008, 10:54 PM   #12
joneb

Quote:
It looks to me that Blue Dot is still NOT a rifle powder.
Apparently you have not been following Alliant's data for very long. I have older Alliant data that gives rifle data using Bullseye, Red Dot,Unique, and Blue Dot for cowboy action and silhouette.
Old December 8, 2008, 05:47 AM   #13
Powderman

Friend, if you want to put the very best in your .45-70 rifle, try what it was meant for: 70 grains of good 1F Goex, or 1.5F Swiss Black Powder, compressed lightly, with an overpowder wad and a grease cookie, under a good cast bullet. Make the grease cookie and the lube on the bullet SPG. You'll have a blast!