The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 3, 2001, 07:42 AM   #1
JAMES L.SMITH

Old Browning-A5

I have a Browning 16ga. A5.Can you tell me about when it was made&approximate value? Ser.#7482x barrel-25 cyl.wood&blue-75% Thanks
Old August 3, 2001, 10:12 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Not positive but I believe 1929 was the year mfg'd. My listing that I can find quickly doesn't state anything about gauge listings than 12. So I'm not sure if all receivers were serial numbered together or separately by gauge. Anyway 1929 is the year that your sn falls into.
Old August 3, 2001, 11:58 AM   #3
Steven Mace

James, actually a Browning Auto-5 chambered in 16ga. with that serial number would have been made sometime during 1934. A Browning A5 from this time period would have actually been produced by Fabrique National (FN). A Field Grade or Grade 1 A5 in 75% condition could be worth about $300. A small premium would be added for those with a solid rib or vent. rib barrel.

Note: You'll want to have the chamber on your A5 checked by a gunsmith. Pre-WWII A5's in 16ga. could be chambered for 2 9/16" shells. This is much less desireable since modern shells start at 2.75". If you want the Browning Service Department can modify your A5 to accept the 2.75" shells. Also, early A5's with the safety mounted in front of the trigger guard are not as desirable as there are potential safety problems inherent in the design.

Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old August 3, 2001, 08:58 PM   #4
JAMES L.SMITH

Steve I just checked the chamber,there is no step persay in barrel.It looks & feels like a taper where step should be.This is an old Fla. quail gun I donot know if someone reworked it or not.I picked it up at my favorite pawnshop last year for $125,stuck it gun cab.till I had time to go over it.