The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 29, 2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Highlander1

Mounting A Scope On An AR15 With Sights

My friend and I have just placed orders for our first ever AR15's. We intend to use them virtually all the time with scopes for targets and especially hunting coyotes. However, they will also have BUIS, as we both believe a rifle simply should have sights.

My question is how do we handle the choice of mount given this situation. I know AR15's should not be used with "see through" mounts. I know flip up sights are an option. Is that the only way to go?
Old September 29, 2012, 10:49 PM   #2
bedlamite

If you want both, then the rear sight needs to fold down and you have two options to mount the scope; high enough to go over the sight, or get a long eye relief scope that can mount far enough forward. Neither is ideal. Don't worry about the front sight if your scope is more than 3x. If you want something like a 1-4x, then you need a folding front sight.
Old September 30, 2012, 01:27 AM   #3
10-96

I assume you have flat tops- right?

I don't make big expensive deals with mine. I use a one piece base/ring doo-hickey like the Burris PEPR. Sight that in with your favorite flavor of scope, take it off, put on regular GI type carry handle or GI Short A2 type sight and sight that in. When you hit the field, carry the sight in the case, pocket, kit bag, etc. As long as you mount each to the same tightness and the same place each time- it won't lose zero, it will always be minute of yote or better uless somebody comes along and turns a knob or wheel.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.