The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1
tube_ee

K31 coming... need accurate hunting loads

Hey, folks...

I've got a K31 coming (should be here tomorrow) and 100 rounds of PP soft points (next week sometime). Redding K31 dies to follow.

Ultimately, the rifle will sit in a monte carlo stock, with a St. Marie clamp-on mount and a 3-9x40 scope (probably a Nikon, but that can change.) Think reversible sporter here.

This will be my first foray into rifle reloading. I've done a lot of .38/.357 and 12g shotshells, but never a bottlenecked case before.

So, I've got some questions.

First, what are the differences between rifle-case and straight-wall pistol case reloading, procedure-wise? Other than the lack of a separate belling stage and no crimp... two dies vs three. Are there gotchas in rifle cartridges that don't come up with pistol rounds?

Second, what are you folks' most accurate loads for the 7.5x55 using hunting bullets? There's plenty of good info on the swissrifles.com site, but most of Pierre's loads seem to use bullets that aren't designed for shooing at game. Also, what would be your choice for a starting powder for this round? I doubt I'll end up with just one... I've used several for the .38 Special, and even more in .357 Magnum, before settling on some favorites (for now...) but you've got to start with something.

Load data for this cartridge is tough to come by, and seems (by internet lore) to be suspect/suboptimal in any case. What have you guys liked?

Thanks,
--Shannon
Old April 6, 2007, 02:13 AM   #2
cracked butt

One of the 'gotchas' involved with reloading for the 7.5 swiss that you will rarely have problems with on other rifle cartridges is bullet seating depth- the throat on your rifle is going to be very short.

If you use reloding data for .308 winchester in the 7.5 swiss, you should find an accurate load (the 7.5 swiss has a case capacity almost equal to the 30-06). I use IMR 4064 and 165-168 gr bullets myself.
Old April 6, 2007, 12:46 PM   #3
hodaka

I agree 100%

For cases, I have started using the Priv Partisan (sp?). On the 5th loading and only one split neck. It is time to trim since they are all too long now. I suggest 165 Hornady with a medium load of 4064. I tried neck sizing and gave up.
Old April 7, 2007, 05:57 AM   #4
qajaq59

Most any good hunting bullet that you'd use in an 06 will work well in the K 31. And Lee, Sierra and a few others have loads for that rifle. I like the H4350 behind a 150 gr bullet for loading mine.

However, so far I haven't used it for hunting as it is heavy and my 30-30 drops hogs quite well. (Yeah, I'm old and weak.)

As far as accuracy goes the K31 is all they say it is and I wouldn't hesitate to take a 200 yard shot at a deer with it. Even with the iron sights. It will definitely make a good deer rifle with hand loads.

And as hodaka said, don't even bother trying to neck size the cases. It'll work for a while, but in the end it'll jam and cost you a deer. Just use a good lube and full size them.
Old April 7, 2007, 10:44 PM   #5
Dave R

I took my first hog with this load. Its accurate in my K-31. Hope it will be in yours, too. This load is lighter than a commercial .308 load. My intent was something accurate, but not hard on the gun.

Sierra 150gr. Spitzer. (This bullet has a short enough ogive for the K-31.)
43gr. H335
CCI Marge rifle magnum primer.
I use reformed .284Win brass.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Last edited by Dave R; April 7, 2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: ETA Case info