The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 23, 2017, 01:37 PM   #1
bellis00

Requesting Help With The DOM of an FN Model 1922

Determining a date of manufacture for an FN 1922 is difficult work. With so many sub-contracts to various countries with slight modifications and differences in proofs, along with restarting the serial number sequence back to 1 on a couple occasions, I need help from someone who understands the proof marks and numbering. First, the serial number on the slide, frame and barrel cap all match 35242. Second, there is NO contract project script on the right side of the slide; no graving at all. The address is on the left side of the slide as you would expect, it is written in sans-serif font, and there is NO dash between the words Herstal and Belgique. Other than the various stamps in the trigger area, and the proofs under the address, it is a rather unremarkable landscape. There are no German acceptance proofs that I can see. I have included pictures below. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FN 1922 .32 Auto a.JPG (194.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg FN 1922 .32 Auto b.JPG (228.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg FN 1922 .32 Auto c.JPG (224.3 KB, 54 views)
Old February 13, 2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Archie

If the pistol has no NAZI acceptance marks, it was built prior to the FN factory being over-run in 1940, OR, after the liberation of Belgium and probably after the war.

I have such a pistol with serial number 37xxx. From my research, my pistol was made in 1947. One can somewhat assume (and possibly go wrong) yours was made close and prior to that. Since production didn't begin instantly, your pistol was made in 1946 or 1947, I'd say.

No. I cannot remember where I found the information; probably looking and looking on line. I'm sure I didn't read it in the entrails of an owl. Pretty sure.

If the NAZIs had possessed it, it would be marked. Repeatedly. It wasn't made during the NAZI occupation.

They are neat little pistols. I prefer a larger caliber, but the 1922 is reliable and suitably accurate. Much more reassuring than a warm smile and a hickory switch.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/