The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 14, 2014, 10:31 PM   #1
jwise

9mm vs. 45acp

I decided to go ahead a get two Centerfire pistol cans: the Silencerco Octane 45 and the AAC Ti-Rant 9.

Mostly I just want to shoot more than one pistol at a time, and I felt getting two of the same thing is silly. This, coming from the man with a safe full of Colt 1911s!!

So I decided on the Octane 45 (haven't ACTUALLY done the transaction yet, but it is on hold for me), as I predominantly shoot 45s (1911s and Glock 21s). I thought about another 45 can, but wanted to get something a little more different than just a different brand. Already having a .22 can, I went with a 9mm.

I plan to eventually build a 9mm SBR, and use this can on it. In the meantime, I will use it on a Glock 17.

What should I expect from shooting a Glock 17 with the TiRant 9 vs. a Glock 21 with the Octane 45?

Which do you prefer to shoot suppressed: 9mm or 45acp?
Old October 14, 2014, 11:30 PM   #2
skizzums

well, assuming that all .45 stays sub-sonic, it's definitely the easier choice. if you don't mind always running 147s in your 9mm, then no issue there either. you'll have to keep your ammo a hair slower running it out of an SBR to keep it quiet, as long as you handload there shouldn't be a problem.
Old October 14, 2014, 11:50 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I have a Octane 45.... I like it alot.

Its actually better on a 9mm then it is on a 45. I have pistons to shoot it on a 9mm pistol,40s&w, 45acp and my 9mm SBR.

The 40 is not a good round to run suppressed. Lots of back blast (sandblast to the face each shot) and not real quiet. The 45 out of my G21 is ok. The 9mm out of my G19 or 35 is real quiet. Like not a problem to shoot indoors w/o ear pro quiet.

The Octane works pretty good on the 9mm SBR as well.

The only drawback is it is larger then a 9mm can. If you can live with the size, the performance is GREAT
Old October 15, 2014, 04:56 PM   #4
jwise

I'm planning on having BOTH the Ti-Rant 9 and the Octane 45. I guess my question was mainly what should I expect out of each?

The Ti-Rant on a Glock 17 and the Octane on a Glock 21.

Good advice on the 147gr ammo. I am aware that 147s are the way to go, but as I don't handload, I'm not sure where that leaves me (I've never shopped for 147gr target loads).

Supposing I run 147gr ammo through the 17/Ti-Rant combo, and 230gr ammo through the 21/Octane combo, which will be the quieter and more enjoyable shooting experience?

What happens if I throw a 1911 into the mix with the Octane? Any difference?

I realize I could have just gotten different pistons for the Octane, but I like the idea of having two pistol cans and not having to switch the piston to put it on a different pistol.