The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 28, 2006, 06:03 PM   #1
Jericho9mm

New to black powder handguns

hey there i am looking into black powder as a hobby for shooting since it seems to be fun (i did it in scouts years ago) but was looking for information on companies that sell the muzzle loading handguns preferably percussion cap fired (sorry if i mess up the terms) anyway your help would be appreciated.
Old February 28, 2006, 11:41 PM   #2
mec

Check out Dixie Gunworks for high quality single shots like pedersoli. For bargain single shots, look at the traditions site. Dixie, Cabelas, Midway, Texas Jacks/Cimarron all treat their customers right with black powder revolvers. My priorities are Uberti first, Pietta Second and Palmetto never. Others here will reverse the order on Pietta and Uberti but most will agree that Palmetto inhales badly.
Old March 1, 2006, 12:21 AM   #3
gmatov

Jericho,

Clarify a little.

You say preferably percussion, so I am assuming you are talking rifle?

Not BP revolver?

Cheers,

George
Old March 1, 2006, 02:03 AM   #4
Weird Guy

Well, the title of the thread is "blackpowder handguns", so I wouldn't expect to be talking about longarms like the Kentucky or Hawkins rifles.

But, that doesn't mean not talking about musket pistols, even single shot ones.

So, my recomendations are to buy things made by Pedersoli, and to buy them through Dixie Gun Works. Dixie wasn't my first choice when I was looking around the internet for places to buy guns, but they were the only ones who I could count on to buy the very specific models and manufacturers I wanted. As I looked at their website more I also saw they allow user reviews, which helps as well. Now they are definetly my first choice.

Other manufactures I would recomend are Ruger, though they're a bit pricy and they don't make historic reproductions. F.L. Pietta is good, and Uberti is supposed to be even better by a small margin.

Last edited by Weird Guy; March 1, 2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old March 1, 2006, 04:38 PM   #5
Jericho9mm

Hey gentlemen, thanks for the info I really appreciate it.

and yes I meant single shot ones as in musket ones like this one
Old March 1, 2006, 06:51 PM   #6
Weird Guy

Well, I would definetly say you want a Pedersoli, and I would buy them through Dixie Gun Works online.

I plan to buy a Queen Ann flintlock pistol that way, but I am waiting until the coolness of the three blackpowder guns I already have wears off.

Old March 20, 2006, 01:55 PM   #7
sundance44s

sundance44s

AWWW ! now thats a cool pistola .. i`ll have to put the Queen Ann on my wish list too .. one can never have too many BP guns ..
Old March 20, 2006, 09:32 PM   #8
gmatov

Took me 3 weeks to reread the OP and see that he DID mention handguns.

Sorry I missed that. Know very little about singleshot MZ pistols, anyway.

Cheers,

George
Old March 21, 2006, 01:40 AM   #9
Weird Guy

Well, since you did put this one back on top I wanted to add that I like the Queen Ann (which only comes in flintlock ignition) because it seems to be the only pistol I can find that predates the Revolutionary period, or Napoleonic period for the Europeans who read this forum.

The Queen Ann design is from around 1600 or so. The Queen Ann's Revenge is the name that Blackbeard gave to his pirate ship, so I imeditately wanted that pistol.

Yarrrr, me mateys.

WG.
Old March 21, 2006, 01:45 PM   #10
sundance44s

sundance44s

Must be my attraction to the Queen Ann pistola too .. i do a lot of mountain man shoots ,and many mountain men started out as pirates yarrrrrrrrrr matey
Old March 29, 2006, 08:19 PM   #11
GolfGuy

Oh man, why did I have to read this thread? My sentiments exactly sundance, I have another toy to put on the list. After all, as a sailor AND BP enthusiast, how can I not have a couple "pirate pistols" on board?

Weird guy, you're right about Queen Ann's Revenge (originally the 'Concorde'), Black Beard stole it from the Dutch, who stole it from the French. It is (or what left of it rather) currently off the coast of North Carolina in 100' of water. Pretty cool!

"Rrrrrrr"