The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 15, 2006, 09:43 PM   #1
Old Dragoon

1858 Remington Carbine

My "58 Rem. Carbine arrived today. It is awesome and in super shape. the letters in the box are BB which is 1992.

It is unfired, but the cylinder has been turned. Doesn't appeared to have been dry fired either. Nipples are not mushroomed. It has a great trigger pull and lighter hammer spring. There was no original box. This has had a forestock put on it and it is a great job, doesn't detract from the gun at all and can be removed by taking the bbl band off dropping the rammer and turning the stock 1/4 turn It has a steel forend and 1 BBl band complete with the steel band release clip. I understand this forstock is from an original Civil War parts musket.

Checked out the Chamber/bbl alignment and it's perfect. Chambers appear to be .450 as close as I can measure. Haven't slugged the bbl yet.

There is no sight channel on the top of the frame. Rear sight is rifle type with an elevator, windage is by drifting in the slot Front sight and rammer are dovetailed.

Brass is already aged due to being in a guncase for years, the frame is turning plum probably due to the difference in the metal in the bbl and the frame and the age. Not a ding or scratch on her. There is a line around the cylinder but other than that CHERRY.

If she shoots as good as she looks then I'll be a happy camper.
Pictures later.
Old February 23, 2006, 04:57 PM   #2
tinker2

Quote:
“If she shoots as good as she looks then I'll be a happy camper.
Pictures later.”
Is it later yet??

Tinker2
Old February 23, 2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Old Dragoon

Tinker2,
It's Later,
Here you go.
The Forestock is for looks only was added my Major in Fl.

Old February 23, 2006, 05:48 PM   #4
tinker2

Old Dragoon

Looks sharp, very nice.

I like it, you shoot it yet?

Tinker2
Old February 23, 2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Remington kid

OD, That would really look great hanging on my wall! Hint,Hint.

Tinker, sent out your loading stand yesterday priority mail so you should have it tomorrow. Sent some felt too. I was useing it for wads but I'm not useing wads much now a day's. You can use it for extra padding when you wear out what's on your stand. Take care, Mike
Old February 23, 2006, 11:56 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

The cylinder line could have been folks at the store playing with it or some testing at the factory. Generally, the blue shouldn't wear out that quickly.

I'm sure you already know not to use the forearm to hold the gun by. One Berdan sharpshooter lost some digits trying that with the (hated) Colt Root revolving rifle.
Old March 13, 2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Old Dragoon

Uberti '58 Remington Carbine 44 Rem. Conversion

I finished my 44 Rem. conversion of my Uberti Rem Carbine this weekend.
Thought you might like to see it after I reblued the whole frame to get rid of the Plum color.
The Kirst 44 Rem Conversion cylinder was hand fit to remove .018 off the length to fit the Uberti Carbine and a Euroarms '58 Rem. it actually fits and functions better in the Carbine, so that is where it will live. I relieved the forearm to allow it and the ejector both to be used.

Left

Right

Closeup of Conversion cylinder and ejector arrangement
Old March 13, 2006, 09:55 AM   #8
Missoura Don

Allright OD !!!! beutifull shooter there sir!! That barrel band and spring look similar to the ones that were on my Mosin Nagant M44, wich, were a b**** to get off withoput scratchin the wood....any trouble with it? Once again, good lookin shooter!!
Old March 13, 2006, 10:44 AM   #9
Old Dragoon

The forearm is off an original 45-70 parts gun, I suspect a Springfield but I don't know for sure. Yes, you have to be careful removing the band, luckily the band keeper spring works easily. With it being a conversion I only will have to remove the forearm to clean it after shooting.