The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2014, 10:07 PM   #1
vepcolm

Reloading for HK p30 9mm with stepped chamber

Hello, I just recently purchased a brand new p30 9mm pistol that I would like to start reloading for. Upon inspecting my spent brass I've noticed that every single one is bulged about 1/4 of an inch from the mouth all the way to the base. Looking into the chamber it looks like there is a step at this point for what purpose I don't know. Does anyone have experience reloading brass like this? Is there any case life issues with brass that has been fired in a chamber with a step in it? Thanks!
Old March 9, 2014, 11:19 PM   #2
bfoosh006

Interesting... can you post a photo of some of the brass ?

I see nothing about this "feature" on their webpage or in the owners manual.

Have you attempted to e-mail HK or phone them ?

I have heard of Saigas having this... but never any thing else.
Old March 9, 2014, 11:21 PM   #3
tangolima

That's interesting. I have a 9mm Luger p08 is doing exactly the same thing. I thought my Luger was originally a .30 cal, and was rebored to 9mm. The step is due to a less than perfect reaming of the chamber. Now your p30 is brand new and was made in Germany, I suppose. Could it be just a German thing, I wonder?

Anyway I have been reloading for my Luger. The step is not doing anything there. I just keep resizing as if the step is not there at all. It may shorten the brass life a bit, but I don't care.

-TL
Old March 10, 2014, 05:10 AM   #4
vepcolm

Here is a photo of some brass from yesterday. The brass is actually kind of necked down at the top.uploadfromtaptalk1394445948333.jpg
here is the best picture I could get inside the chamber. You can barely see the step.uploadfromtaptalk1394446198476.jpg

After some research, I can say it is definitely supposed to be like this. My only concern now is reloading this brass and its impact on safety and case life. Thanks.
Old March 10, 2014, 08:48 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The theory behind that step, as I understand it, is to provide a better gas seal because of the taper of the 9mm case.

In any event, it's irrelevant to your reloading. Ignore it.
Old March 10, 2014, 09:56 AM   #6
vepcolm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
The theory behind that step, as I understand it, is to provide a better gas seal because of the taper of the 9mm case.

In any event, it's irrelevant to your reloading. Ignore it.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.