The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2014, 11:23 PM   #1
Dmurphy85

Unique loading data for 9mm

Hello I've been reloading for a little while now but recently I've run into a bit of a snag. Recently I've come across some unique powder and have heard people talking about how versatile this powder was so I went ahead and bought some. The problem is I can't find any loading data for what I want. All I want is data for a 124 grain plated round nose with velocity under 1200 FPS. I went to the alliant website for their loading data and all they have is loads for Speer JHP. I've also called alliant to get the data directly from them and they told me they couldn't give it to me. I have the newest lyman manual and the lee manual as well and nothing.If anyone could help me I would extremely appreciate it.
Old March 7, 2014, 12:05 AM   #2
riverratt

I asked nearly the same question on here under '' need help with conflicting data". I think you can find your answer there. Looks like the general agreement is to start with 4.5gr and work up to around 5gr that will get you in the ballpark.
Old March 7, 2014, 12:15 AM   #3
Marco Califo

Alliant not giving out data? NOT!

"Alliant/ ATK-Amonette, Ben <[email protected]> emailed my these 9mm loads today, including RED DOT!
9mm Luger

115 gr lead bullet
Red Dot start 3.7 grs max 4.2 grs
Bullseye start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Green Dot start 4.2 grs max 4.7 grs
Unique start 4.5 max 5 grs
Power Pistol start 5 grs max 5.5 grs

115 gr jacketed bullet
Red Dot start 3.8 grs max 4.3 grs
Bullseye start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Green Dot start 4.2 grs max 4.7 grs
Unique start 4.5 grs max 5.5 grs
Power Pistol start 5.9 grs max 6.3 grs

124/125 gr lead
Red Dot start 3.6 grs max 4.1 grs
Bullseye start 3.8 grs max 4.3 grs
Green Dot start 3.9 grs max 4.4 grs
Unique start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Power Pistol start 4.8 grs max 5.3 grs

124/125 gr jacketed
Red Dot start 3.7 grs max 4.2 grs
Bullseye start 3.9 grs max 4.3 grs
Green Dot start 4.1 grs max 4.5 grs
Unique start 4.5 grs max 5 grs
Power Pistol start 5 grs max 5.5 grs

147 gr lead
Bullseye start 2.8 grs max 3.3 grs
Green Dot start 3 grs max 3.4 grs
Unique start 3.2 grs max 3.6 grs
Power Pistol start 4 grs max 4.5 grs

147 gr jacketed
Unique start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Power Pistol start 4.5 grs max 5 grs

Note: Start with the minimum charge wt. Reload just a few and be sure they will properly cycle the action of your pistol before reloading a quantity.
Old March 7, 2014, 01:34 AM   #4
steve4102

Plated bullet manufacturers have this to say about loading their bullets.

Rainier.
http://www.rainierballistics.com/loaddata.php
We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data.

***If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend a starting powder charge directly between the listed minimum and maximum load, and you may use published load data found in reputable reloading manuals.

Berrys

http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q9-c1-H...d_Bullets.aspx

Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

Berrys page two.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q21-c1-...d_Bullets.aspx

Currently published load data is limited to some calibers by Accurate, Western Powders and Hodgdon. We are working with these companies to get data published for all of our bullets.

We recommend using hard cast load data or start with mid-range jacketed data. Make sure data is below 1250fps unless you are using a Thick-Plated bullet that we list a higher max velocity for like the 9mm 124gr HBRN-TP that can be shot to 1500fps in open class guns like a .38 Super. Keep in mind that since our plated bullet has the same pressure curve as a hard cast bullet, the published cast data will be very close to what you will get with our plated bullets. If you use Jacketed data with our plated bullets you can get from 5% - 8% increase in velocity using that data.

Other than the data from Western and Accurate for the 9mm, .40S&W and Hodgdon .40S&W there is no printed data available.
Old March 7, 2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Salmoneye

Download this...

Pistol data starts page 42:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachmen...7&d=1364769070
Old March 7, 2014, 07:31 AM   #6
1Victor30

The latest Lee manual has data for 124gr Copper Plated bullets. The part I have a problem with as a new re-loader is being told that you can use lead data for the same weight plated bullet. In the Lee manual, a 124gr lead bullet uses 4.7 to 5.4 of AA#5. In the same manual, a 124gr copper plated bullet uses 5.0 to 5.8 of AA#5. Quite a difference. Not so concerned about the starting loads, but the Max load.
Old March 7, 2014, 08:27 AM   #7
Dmurphy85

Hey everybody thanks for the info that kind of clears everything up. I'm still wondering especially with the info that Marco Califo gave, what are the OAL on the rounds? Just from my little reloading I've done I like keeping my OALs around 1.150 it feeds really well through my gun (a Ruger SR9) and that is what the powders I've used call for (IMR-SR4756 & IMR-800X) I know you're probably scratching your head with the 800X it was a noobie mistake, but although it meters horrible the loads I have worked up do work really well. Again though I really appreciate everyone's input, any info helps a ton.
Old March 7, 2014, 08:58 AM   #8
Dmurphy85

Ok I just looked at the info that Salmoneye posted at it confirms the OAL issue and a few other things, but I know for sure that I can be between 4.9 and 5.5 gn of powder with a OAL of 1.150 and still be safe with velocitys under 1200 fps. Thanks Salmoneye.
Old March 7, 2014, 11:15 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

since forever

For any 124/125g bullet use 5.0g Unique.

For any 115g bullet use 5.5g.
Old March 7, 2014, 11:33 AM   #10
jolly roger

4.8 Unique with Missouri Bullets 125 grain truncated cone cast "9 Cone" shoots like a dream out of my 92FS..and yes a Glock with OEM barrel. 18 Brinnell hardness
Old March 7, 2014, 11:33 PM   #11
Marco Califo

Alliant OAL's

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...rcules1992.pdf
Loads were a bit hotter in 1992.