The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 27, 2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Waterengineer

Ithaca O/U video

The Ithaca O/U. The video is from Shotshow 2010. Some interesting features - nothing earth shattering.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/video/pla...nel=17&vid=140
Old January 27, 2010, 10:19 AM   #2
oneounceload

WE - did you make it to SHOT this year? I have a writer friend who went, but then he went right to SCI in Reno, so I haven't seen him to ask his opinions on some things. He's a big shotgun person, almost to the tune of excluding other guns, so his focus will be there.

What do you think about that Ithaca? My first impression of the action in the white I saw was a little too blocky - they need to round it off at the edges for ease in carrying.

Hopefully a review will be forthcoming soon
Old January 28, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3
zippy13

Like oneounceload, something about the proportions bother me. Then I realized… some guns have deep/short actions, some have shallow/long actions; but this Ithaca seems to have a deep/long action. It's easy to believe that the basic design is 80+ years old. The Ithaca O/U looks like a brick, I wonder if it handles like one, too.

What caught my interest was the mention of a new Ithaca M-37 in 28-ga. And, unlike the recently discussed new Benelli in 28-ga, the Ithaca comes with a 26 or 28-inch barrel. Those wanting an American made 28-ga closed side pump should be pleased with the new M-37.
Old January 28, 2010, 12:34 PM   #4
oneounceload

And if you see the price on the top of the line 28 M37, you'll see it's about the price of a Beretta O/U........
Old January 28, 2010, 05:24 PM   #5
zippy13

1-oz,
True, but you can get their entry level custom made m-37/28, the fancy grade, for under $1K. Hey, no one said there was a cheap answer for those seeking an American made 28-ga closed side pump.
Old January 29, 2010, 05:39 PM   #6
southpaw02

The video looks a lot like the prototype from last year. I have talked to a couple of guys who have shot one they seem to like them.

http://randywakeman.com/Preview_Ithaca_Phoenix.htm