The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 5, 2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Kiddmen57

First Post and First BP Revolver

Hi everyone. This is my first post here and I figured I would show my first BP purchase. I had been casually toying with the idea to put together some consecutive Uberti 1851's in a case as a fun target shooting set and had been talking to a guy at work who is heavy into old firearms. He also happens to be good friends with a local shop owner. Well, this past week I was thrust into BP ownership and collecting.

A gentleman came in with around 50 BP guns and left a couple at the shop. My friend mentioned the guy had left an 1851 nickel (huh?) at the shop for sale. I went and looked at it and it was a 2nd gen SS gun in pretty darn good shape minus the box, though it did have a late Colt presentation box in pretty good shape with it. Fast forward a few days and she is sitting in my safe. Now I really need to get one I can play with as it's killing me not to touch this one!

A big thanks to FingersMcGee for some email communication and assistance.
I have also been told by this guns previous owner that he has some NIB and 98% condition consecutive pairs, including a serial number confirmed consecutive set of 1860 stainless guns. Oh, and before you ask, I am certainly going to look for any 1861 SS guns!

I know people like pics so here you go.

Old May 5, 2015, 08:16 PM   #2
DoubleDeuce 1

That stainless 1851 is sure something to behold. Good choice there.
Old May 5, 2015, 08:37 PM   #3
rtpzwms

Nice looking pistol!
Old May 5, 2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Hawg

I'd have to shoot it.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:17 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Nice Colt and good pics.
Old May 8, 2015, 02:56 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Ditto to the last four posts.

Very nice pistole. BTW, I don't shoot my Colts either.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:21 PM   #7
Kiddmen57

Before buying this I had no real idea of these guns, didnt even know Colt made the 2nd and licensed 3rd gen variations. I thought Pietta and Uberti were the only ones other than real original 1850's units.

Now that I see the pricing for a 90% or shooter quality 2nd gen, If I can find a set of those I'd shoot them for sure. I mean, if you find a decent 85-90% colt 2nd gen it can be had for cheaper than a new Uberti!
Old May 11, 2015, 04:34 PM   #8
North East Redneck

Very nice. Good find. I understand why you don't want to shoot it. But if was mine, I'd shoot it. That's what it was made for.
Old May 11, 2015, 06:32 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Glad you got it Kiddmen. To shoot it or not to shoot it, that is a quandary. I don't shoot my NIB SS Colts; but do shoot a pair of C series '51 Navies and a pair of F series '61 Navies.

Whichever way you go, have fun.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 12, 2015, 03:47 PM   #10
BirchOrr

Wow...

... now that... is a beautiful pistol!

To me, these are like vintage guitars... great to look at... even more fun to play!

Either way, I might have a hard time taking that one to the range.

Awesome first purchase and welcome to the forum!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old May 12, 2015, 04:27 PM   #11
BirchOrr

Glad to see...

Doc Hoy's post. Although I haven't been on much, I hadn't seen him post much either. Glad to see ya here Doc!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...