The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2018, 05:15 PM   #1
condor bravo

Difficult unlocking action on .22 Hi-Power Savage 99

My .22 Hi-Power Savage mdl 99 has reached a point where it is very difficult to unlock the action after firing a round or just unlocking with an empty case or no case at all in the chamber. The problem is not one of extraction but simply unlocking the action prior to extraction.

Now, due to fault of my own, here is what I think led up to the situation: Most of my cases have been formed from necking down the parent case, the .25-35 Win. However I could and should have sized the cases a little more for looser chambering but not having done so, the cases and loaded rounds chambered with a crush fit. Unlocking the action to extract a case was no problem to begin with but lately the difficulty in unlocking the action has become obvious and difficult. Again, extracting a case is not the problem since the same thing happens without a case being chambered. However, unlocking is a little easier if the trigger has been pulled. Factory Norma .22 HP cases chamber easily without a crush fit?

Any ideas as to what has happened and a cure?
Old January 24, 2018, 09:37 PM   #2
Mobuck

Sounds like you might need to remove the stock, flush out the crud, and re-lube paying close attention to the locking mechanism.
Old January 24, 2018, 11:35 PM   #3
Yosemite Steve

I would disassemble and inspect for damage. You may have bent something.
Old January 24, 2018, 11:53 PM   #4
condor bravo

Yes, that is what I'm anticipating, something bent.
Old January 25, 2018, 03:40 PM   #5
HiBC

I don't own a 99. These are general thoughts.

Maybe a bit more sizing.I'm saying .002 more maybe.You don't want extra head clearance,but crush going in is not good.

The lockup on those is the rear surface of the bolt raising up to engage the receiver. You might look at those surfaces for wear/upset/etc. A high spot that must be overcome to open. Don't get your dremel out.For now,just look.

If there is a visible issue,the most you want to do is float off the high spots with an India stone.These are your locking surfaces that control headspace,etc.

Take pix,ask questions,etc.Its not something to rush into.

Try a tiny bit,thin film of grease on that locking friction surface. Light oil all linkage pivots or cams.

Where would you guess you are with pressure? What do you think of dropping a couple of grains?
Old January 25, 2018, 05:00 PM   #6
condor bravo

HIBC
Thanks for the info on the location of the locking system. I wouldn't have had any idea where to find it. I assume just necessary to remove the stock.

The loads are rather mild, using the starting load of 4895 with a 70 gr jacketed, as well as a max load of TB and a 60 gr cast, and adjusted the sizing die to set the shoulder back some to eliminate the crush fit.
Old January 25, 2018, 07:02 PM   #7
condor bravo

I've removed stock, brushed out any debris, oiled moving surfaces, perhaps to some improvement, but can't detect anything obvious.
Old January 25, 2018, 08:46 PM   #8
condor bravo

Well I'm not sure what I did, but a little oil here and a little oil there, and getting the stock back on without breaking it, everything has returned to normal. Do it yourself and with a little help from your friends gunsmithing I guess. The only difficult part was getting the stock off and back on.
Old January 26, 2018, 12:06 AM   #9
HiBC

Good!
Old January 27, 2018, 11:27 AM   #10
condor bravo

What I actually think happened was a splinter of brass being stuck somewhere in the mechanism that was causing a jam and was dislodged while brushing.

When removing or replacing the stock on a 99, it could be very easy to break off the narrow side plates. Be extremely careful.

Last edited by condor bravo; January 28, 2018 at 12:46 PM.